SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CBE/ X Menus, Performance, Dynamic Generation

Hey, folks, new to the forum but not to CBE menus. This question is for Mike Foster & anyone else working with CBE or/and X menu stuff from www.cross-browser.com.

I've been working on a redesign of our site at ExperiencePlus for some time now, and long ago chose CBE menu 9 over the other menu technologies out there because of its browser independance. Problem is, as you can see, we have a pretty large site; load-times for the menus and associated scripts are approaching prohibitive. So I'm trying to speed things up.
    You can see the results of some simplification here - still about the same speed by my guesstimates.

So, my question is twofold, I guess. First, Mike, do you have any ideas about how long it will take X menu 4 to reach maturity? No pressure ;^) If it were ready now, I'd just drop CBE in favor of X.

Second question: How much performance improvement can I expect from removing unnecessary code (sliding, for example) from the CBE core files? I haven't played with that stuff at all, except to read it now & then when looking for solutions to problems. Does anyone have a similarly large implementation of CBE menu9 that runs faster, so that perhaps they could share their experience?

One final thing: I'm planning to eventually shove all this into a PHP document that will auto-generate chunks of the menu from database queries, especially around the tour & country listings and our "Resource Room." (X menu 4 looks like it would be vastly superior for that purpose, since it's so lean.) I'm interested in hearing from anybody who's tried to do something like this, whether they succeeded or not.

Thanks,
    --Rich

I'll take mine raw silver trophy MikeFoster's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rich,

Thanks for using my libraries! and Welcome to the SitePoint Javascript Forum!

I'm afraid I don't have time for a proper response, but I wanted to mention something about the load-time of cbeMenu9. The CBE file sizes are much more than the X file size - so that does affect it, but the biggest problem is with menu9 itself. It sets colors, resizes and positions all labels, boxes, and each individual item - this makes it slow. With xMenu4 colors and formatting are controlled by CSS and the menu script only positions the boxes - that's it - so it should be much faster with much smaller js file sizes.

xMenu4 status: I feel pretty good about the algorithms - it is at a point now where it just needs testing on as many different platforms as possible. To be honest, I got a little discouraged when I saw the almost js-less UL menu at ALA, and I haven't done anything with xMenu4 since then. (not to mention the fact that I'm drowning in my day-job )

I'll be back later today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeFoster
    Hi Rich,

Thanks for using my libraries! :) and Welcome to the SitePoint Javascript Forum!
    Well, thanks for making such cool cross-browser stuff available to the public!
    I'm afraid I don't have time for a proper response, but I wanted to mention something about the load-time of cbeMenu9. The CBE file sizes are much more than the X file size - so that does affect it, but the biggest problem is with menu9 itself. It sets colors, resizes and positions all labels, boxes, and each individual item - this makes it slow. With xMenu4 colors and formatting are controlled by CSS and the menu script only positions the boxes - that's it - so it should be much faster with much smaller js file sizes.
    Yeah, I've played with commenting out some of the stuff in there because I wanted more control over my menu locations, colors, widths, etc. Maybe commenting out more of it and shuttling the functionality to CSS would help....
    xMenu4 status: I feel pretty good about the algorithms - it is at a point now where it just needs testing on as many different platforms as possible. To be honest, I got a little discouraged when I saw the almost js-less UL menu at ALA, and I haven't done anything with xMenu4 since then. (not to mention the fact that I'm drowning in my day-job ;))
    Y'know, X sounds like a better way to go, if it's ready in time for our proposed mid-January launch. I would be happy to help with the testing efforts. I have access to Win (98, 2000, XP) with IE, NN & Opera browsers of various versions; at home, I have a linux box I could ressurect for Konqueror, Galleon & Mozilla on RedHat 9.0. A coworker here has an iMac with OS8.6 and IE5.1 at home, too.
    If you give us a quick primer as to how we can most efficiently help you to debug X, we'll spend some time with it.
    --Rich
    p.s. What is ALA? I'm intrigued.... ;^)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really appreciate the offer to help with testing. But I'm somewhat confused about this project because of recent events. In particular have a look at this menu. The links there will take you to the ALA article as well as other resources on this issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the lead, Mike. I'm in the middle of evaluating this menu system. I'll let you know what I think when (if) I get it working.

Let me know if your confusion lifts and you see a clear course of action with X....

--Rich

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ADxMenu uses his customized version of X. I think he's done a really good job with it altho I haven't looked at it in detail.

With these new developments in nested UL menus (controlled mostly by css and with minimal js) I'm not sure how to proceed with xMenu4.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've played with it a little. He certainly hasn't made it easy to pick up his code and adapt it to one's own projects. But I've achieved some limited functionality, NN7-only at this point (haven't tried it on other Mozilla-based browsers). I'll keep you posted - sadly, I'm not able to give this the time it deserves right now.

--Rich