SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

browser sniffing: user agent string list?

Hey guys.

Does anyone know of a list of browser user agent strings, produced by the navigator object? -

navigator.userAgent

Like every other web developer, I'm writing some browser-specific code, but don't have the means to test it on every browser out there. However, if I had access to the user agent strings produced by each browser (or at least the *main* browsers) I could figure it out without the need for actual testing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Did a quick search and I found an excellent resource:
    http://www.zytrax.com/tech/web/browser_ids.htm

You won't find a more complete list than this! Going straight in my bookmarks!

-xDev

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brilliant! Thanks very much :-)

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy blufive's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed, an excellent list - just remember that you won't get exact matches most of the time.

You need to go looking for substrings, and use them to guess what browser is being use.

To give you some idea of what you're up against, have a look at this: http://www.ews.uiuc.edu/bstats/latest-week.html (warning: 500kb HTML file)

The bulk of that page is a list of ALL the user strings seen by a webserver at the University of Illinois last week. There's typically something like 4000-5000 different user-agent strings there - most of them are various versions of IE.

You may also want to look at Netscape Devedge's "ultimate browser sniffer". Just remember that it's not been updated for a while, so it doesn't include Safari, nor does it distinguish Netscape 6/7 from each other, or Mozilla.