SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not displaying correctly in IE5 on mac, why?

Dear all,

I recently rebuilt my website using css for layout and formatting. I am using javascript to resize the column divs so that they are all the same length. Apparently, there are some cross-browser issues. My general question is what is the best way to do cross-browser checking. I have seen different products out on the market, mostly expensive, and the only other way I can think of is to use a focus group. I'd like to hear some other ideas. Also, what's a good way to learn about the idiosyncracies of each kind of browser and platform?

Some specific questions:
    • The site is not displaying correcting in IE5 for mac, why do you think that might be?
    • The code <a href="#top">Top</a> doesn't take you to the top of the screen when you click it when you are in Netscape 7.0. What code should I use?
    Thank you very much,
    Chris
    Chris S.

Free Web Scripts - Form generators, AJAX tools and more!
    Micro CMS - A totally free AJAX-based, SEO-ed CMS!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ashattuc
    Dear all,

I recently rebuilt my website using css for layout and formatting. I am using javascript to resize the column divs so that they are all the same length. Apparently, there are some cross-browser issues. My general question is what is the best way to do cross-browser checking. I have seen different products out on the market, mostly expensive, and the only other way I can think of is to use a focus group. I'd like to hear some other ideas. Also, what's a good way to learn about the idiosyncracies of each kind of browser and platform?
    Well, unfortunately I don't have any easy answers on how to check compatibility other than to physically have a Mac and a PC to check it on. I work on a Mac but got a basic PC which I use to double-check my designs to make sure they work.

Quote Originally Posted by ashattuc
    Some specific questions:
    • The site is not displaying correcting in IE5 for mac, why do you think that might be?
    • The code <a href="#top">Top</a> doesn't take you to the top of the screen when you click it when you are in Netscape 7.0. What code should I use?
    Thank you very much,
    Chris
    First one, I think it may not be your javascript that is the problem, but using CSS for layout. IE on the Mac has problems with CSS positioning, not displaying them properly, so most of the time things will look all out of whack. Only fix is to not use them or ignore Mac users (not great options).

Second, the Top link should work in Netscape 7. I have it in use on one of my sites and it works. You have the A Href code there, but did you put an A Name tag somewhere at the top called "top"? If you post the site I can take a look at it and see if I can see what's wrong (I'm using IE 5 on a Mac).
    Kevin Hauge : Modern Leaf Design : Follow Us on Facebook
    Client Axis v.08 - client / project management script

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Liquid Reflex,

The site is www.impliedbydesign.com. Since you have IE5 on mac, I know it's going to look a bit funny, but then you'll have a better idea of what's going on.

Thank you for the information. I didn't have a A Name tag at the top, but I will put one in now. I guess IE goes to the top when you have an a href tag that doesn't have a name contained in the document.

Your response was right on, thank you.

-Chris
    Chris S.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Hey Liquid, I like your site alot. Very creative and very simple and clean. NIce!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jag5311
    Off Topic:

Hey Liquid, I like your site alot. Very creative and very simple and clean. NIce!
    Thanks.

Chris, looking at the site, it appears the main problem is the footer? On my screen it crosses over the main content. (Now just so you know, I'm not very experience with CSS tables, so this is just a general observation which could be way off). I looked at your CSS file and it appears that your footer is defined with an absolute position. Since there is only a certain amount of content on the left, your row begins at that point and spans the entire width, despite the middle column being the longest. My guess is you would want that row to be relative to the middle column so it doesn't begin until after the middle content ends. How to do that ... not too sure ... probably changing a few positions or something? Perhaps someone else here who knows more about CSS can chime in on this one?
    Kevin Hauge : Modern Leaf Design : Follow Us on Facebook
    Client Axis v.08 - client / project management script

Ding Fries are Done! inter4design's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.danvine.com/capture/ You can see what your site looks like on camino browser here... i find that helpfull to
    DoesItMatter
    - anyone seen my underwear?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bad-a*s. Thanks.

Is that done using XML? just wondering, because its able to create PNG's on the fly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    possibly..havent really investigated it too much into how he does it...just think its really a usefull tool
    DoesItMatter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you've come this far you are probably wondering how this site works.

Although I am keeping the source-code private for the time being, I can and shall devulge the basics. This page interfaces to a MySQL database from which a web-service feeds. The iMac parses the requests and then pushes the data through a maze of shell, perl, python and applescripts. The result is returned in the form of a PNG to the requester's browser window.

The limitations of this service are clear and plentiful. I plan to improve (aka, rewrite) the entire thing (again) and provide a feature-packed service including, but not limited to; multiple browsers, site spidering, and improved user control.

If you are interested in discussing, contributing to or motivating this project don't hesitate to let me know.

- Dan
    Borrowed from his site..
    DoesItMatter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you,

Liquid Reflex: Thanks a lot for taking a look. I think the problem with the footer wasn't the position:absolute, but rather that I left of the px part of the left#) attribute. Thanks for taking a look, I think it is fixed now.

Jag5311: Nice! That's great. I also just read the last SitePoint Tech Times and there is now a way to un multiple versions of IE side by side on your computer, hitherto impossible:

Joe Maddalone, of Insert Title Web Designs noticed that Microsoft used a neat DLL substitution trick in order to make available test versions of Internet Explorer modified to comply with the Eolas '906 patent that could run side-by-side with the unmodified version of the browser.

With a little experimentation, he was able to use the same technique to put together copies of Internet Explorer 5 and 5.5 that would coexist peacefully on a computer with Internet Explorer 6 installed. He has published an excellent guide to the steps required to do the same.

Ryan Parman has reported on this in his blog, which provides convenient, pre-packaged downloads of Internet Explorer 3, 4.01, 5.01 SP2, and 5.5 SP2 with Maddalone's steps already applied. Simply download each of these packages, unzip it, and create a shortcut to the executable file. Just like that -- a standalone copy of Internet Explorer!
    So now, the only systems that I need to know how to test on are Macs running multiple verstions of IE. Anyone know how to do this without buying a Mac?

Also, I wonder if someone could explain why IE on Mac has issues with CSS, and what those issues are exactly?

Sincerely,
    Chris S.
    Chris S.