SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I'm building this new site, somekind of portal/e-zine stuff and what I want to do is to have some(or at least one game) there where people could compete one against another and then the best ones would earn some prizes.This way I would generate more traffic to my site and keep people coming back. Does anyone have any experience with that or has anyone ever tried something like that by himself? And if, could someone post some URLs here, please.

Thanks in advance
    Mare

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just responding so when this thread gets a response I can be e-mailed about it. I'm interested in it too.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mare,

I've been thinking about adding some free online games for a while now. The quality of the game and the prizes really depend on how much time and effort your willing to put into it. A nice idea would be to get a good Flash artist to create a single-player game for you, not unlike one of those classic arcade games such as Space Invaders, Asteriods, Pong, etc (but using different names, of course). Then keep a record of players High Scores. The player with the highest score at the end of the month could be sent out a prize, where as the 50 or so runners up will get an email telling them how close they were, and encouraging them to try again. This way you get return visits, and don't need to invest a lot of time or effort into it.

Two (or more) player games can be hard to do, because players typically arn't trustworth, and online multiplayer Flash games are impossible, but if your really keen on it then it could be done possibly with card or trivia games.

Hope this helps you out a little

Andrew.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the goal is to generate traffic to get payout from CPM programs sure. But if the goal is to entice people to come to your site to use the other products/services then you may not get the kind of visitors you want.

I used to run a free sweepstakes on my other site. Only got people who liked to enter free contests to come to that. No one ever bought a thing. Going to end it this month.
    Ocean View Host - Affordable web hosting plans for any business.
    Modern Technology, Old Fashioned Value & Service!
    U.S. Merchant Services - Reliable merchant account services for all business!
    Quality People Providing A Quality Service!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Insomniac said is just what I'm looking for. One player game with high scores and all that stuff like on other pages on the net(Yahoo,iWin etc..). Non-E-commerce stores and companies will contribute prizes for winners or even some runners-ups. This way my site will have enough visits and returning visitors and companies will get "cheap" promotion. I'm not talking about "big" prizes here.
    Personally I think it's a good idea and email notification that you(insomniac) mentioned would probably generate even more traffic. That, with planned advertising and promotion should generate more hits and more revenue.

The only thing I need to know now is where to find some free customizable Java games and similar stuff.

Mare

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One or maybe two games should probably be enough for one site. Prizes may be send out every 2 weeks and then webmaster would change the game. So 2 weeks one, 2 weeks another.

Mare