SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. I need help with setting up an e-commerce site. Basically, my client [I know I know, I shouldn't have accepted a job I couldn't handle, but then again, I was also surprised to get this job] wants to sell products through his site. That simple. Right?

Maybe for you guys, but for me.. this is a whole new ground. Can someone guide me through this? Here's what I know so far:

1. I need a merchant account from a bank. THe internet type.

*Now, my country [philippines] does not have that much banks that will readily give Internet Merchant accounts, so the solution we came up with was to set up a bank account somewhere in the states... since the target market is there. Can anyone recommend a bank?

2. I will need a payment processing software. Since I'm with Crystaltech, I should work with one of their partners so that everything goes smoothly right? My options include Authorize.net. Who else would you guys recommend?

3. I need a shopping cart script. I decided on Miva, since Crystaltech offers this free with their hosting.

My question: Where does Verisign come in? And am I missing something else? Could you give me information on how you guys pulled off yours? Any help would be greatly appreciated.... heck, I'll even design a site for you [if you're lazy ] if the information you gave would make my client happy. ;] Umm.. not a big site, ok? Hehe. ;]

Mucho thanks in advance!

pl0nk?!
    http://www.digitalketchup.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi theplonk,
    Authorizenet does not process credit card payments in foreign currencies. Their affiliate company, Planet Payment does. You can learn more about Planet Payment by visiting our site:
    http://www.acmworld.com/e-commerce/m...etpayment.html
    Submit an application and they will quote you the costs of setting up a merchant account with them.
    Setting up a bank account in the States requires you to be in the States in person. (although I am beginning to see many banks seem to waive that requirement, allowing foreign companies to set up accounts without ever set foot in the States)
    Planet Payment does not require you to have an account in the States. They will pay you in Philipines peso.
    Once you set up the storefront using Miva, you have to learn how to integrate the shopping cart with the payment gateway. There are shopping cart programs that will do that interface with real time credit card processors for you. Our shopping cart program can integrate with Planet Payment and among 13 other payment systems. You may like to check it out at:
    http://www.acmworld.com/storecreator/

Hope this helps.
    ===================================
    CREATE WEB STORES INSTANTLY!
    Y H Sia, sia@acmworld.com
    http://www.acmworld.com/storecreator/
    ===================================

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I worrying that you're making it harder on yourself than you have to. I don't mean to question the choices you've made already, but want to ask "why" you've choosen the route you have before trying to offer advice.

So why not go a ccnow.com type route? Or for that matter a "Yahoo Store" route? Tell me more about why you've decided to go the expensive and time consuming route of setting up your own merchant account. May I also ask what your client is selling.

This info would help me give more specific advice.

-----------
    Exotic Hawaii
    Live the life of your dreams!
    http://exotichawaii.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took this route because my client decided that it would be better and more feasable to use this one. We have given him alternates such as instabill, ccnow and revecom over the use of verisign and the others. He still decides over this one.

The site to be done is somehwat similar to amazon.com, but not about books nor does it have the same target market.

The advice of setting up a merchant account offshore is very feasable, and we're now looking into that. Then again, I'd feel better if our country had banks who'd support this kind of venture....

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can use either Verisign or Thawte for an SSL Certificate to keep transactions secure. Thawte is owned by Verisign, but Thawte Certificates cost $125 whereas Verisign Certificates cost $300. Either can be used on your Crystaltech.com hosted website.
    Mike