SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

registering a trademark

I've searched through some old posts but none seemed to answer my question. I have my magazine is called trampt, which is not in the dictionary as a word. Can I trademark that word so down the road, if it is successful, someone doesn't start a company called trampt clothing or something that could later infringe on that branded name?

The reason is I might want to branch out later into other things, and I don't want someone thinking its a cool word or something and using to start a venture that I might want to get into later and causing all sorts of headaches, not to mention legal fees.

Any direction would be helpful. I searched around google but keep some up with FAQ's for registering domain names that are trademarked. Even if someone can give me the right search phrase it would be most helpful.

Thanks,
    Keegan

SitePoint Enthusiast EightManagement's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the link, you generally need an attorney to handle this kind of filing, but I always encourage people to try on their own.

http://www.uspto.gov/

You also may want to register a copyright for your magazine (serial/periodical). You'll need to declare volumes and issues. http://www.copyright.gov/
    Joshua
    Owner/Accountant
    Eight Management
    Bookkeeping and Taxation Management

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks alot. If you go through the trademark web site that if I wanted to protect "trampt" as a name for a publication I register one trademark, then if I want to protect the name "trampt" for clothing line or whatever I would have to file seperate trademarks at around $350 a piece.

Sounds like I'm going to have to think hard about what I would want to try and protect before I start shelling out cash left and right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a side note ... I did just register trampt.net and trampt.org which I guess will protect the name online.

Was thinking about also registering trampt.co.uk but I don't think I'll bother right now.

SitePoint Enthusiast EightManagement's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plus, I think there is precident in defending your unregistered trademark or copyright in court. Because you own all the domains and maintain a website, I believe you have some protection. Might want to consult with an attorney or hit the stacks at your local library.
    Joshua
    Owner/Accountant
    Eight Management
    Bookkeeping and Taxation Management

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having a registered name gives you a little protection but only a trademark (or service mark) can really give you full coverage. I don't remember all the fine details but basically there are around two dozen categories of business you can trademark across a few types of services/products. You don't need an attorney to do the filling for you but it helps to figure out the proper classes and language. With trademarks little words matter -- too vague and you won't get it, too specific and it does no good. Take a look at marks for similar companies and see what classes/terms they used so you can at least be aware of what the norm is. Just be sure you get some professional advice before you spend $1000 on 3 different marks.

Bottom line, as always contacting a lawyer is best.
    - Ted S

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a saying by lawyers... Trademarks just give you the right to sue!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TidalTech
    There's a saying by lawyers... Trademarks just give you the right to sue!
    And that's a right I want to keep.

Thanks everyone.