SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool E-commerce process (steps?)

What's the guideline for a web designer if a client wants a e-commerce on their site? Is there something like a "10 steps to providing e-commerce on you site" stuff?

I know that you have to make the client get a merchant account, but what's next? Any articles that will make my project easier? The client is based in US. I've read in the threads that it will be cost effective if I make the client get his own merchant account rather than third party payment gateways.

Thanks
    rey

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few articles that may help you:

http://www.sitepoint.com/article/224
    not a ton of info but vital ideas

http://www.moderninsider.com/article37.html
    more focused towards new users so it may be a bit "dumb" for your needs.

http://www.ecommerceeducation.com/ho...erce_works.asp
    more information on the same major steps

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Thanks, Ted. Any help is appreciated. I did find the articles on ecommerce education informative. I also did some digging and found some articles like these:

http://www.sitepoint.com/print/494 - Guides to online payment

Also visited echo-inc.com and visited the faq page, learned more stuff there.

Rey

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, that's a great idea for an article... I might actually write one on that subject. Let me see if I can help you out a little...

One thing you need to really consider is your technology. By that I mean your e-commerce system (or shopping cart), the merchant account or credit card processor and your web host. They must all work together for your site to work. A site on a linux server won't work with a shopping cart designed for Microsoft SQL server and ASP. Further, a shopping cart will be built to work with certain payment processors, so you'll need to keep all these things in the back of your mind while shopping for them.

Another thing to consider is the type of site you're making. If you're selling just a few products you'll most likely want a different shopping cart / e-commerce system than if you have hundreds or thousands of products. What you're selling (the product or service) also plays a part. Clothes and apparel have many colors/sizes and if inventory tracking is important you'll need to make sure your cart supports these options.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the client is into providing seminars and trainings, so it's a service type. We will also be offerring training modules online for a fee and a member's log-in feature. These members can access those training modules for a fee, paying by credit card.

e-commerce is not yet my turf, am still researching and studying it. This is what I learned so far:

1. First of all, you obviously need a product or service to sell
    2. Then you need a Web site.
    3. Next you need some way of accepting on-line payments. This normally means credit cards, although there are other options for very small or low-volume sites.
    4. , you need to have a strategy for marketing your site and attracting customers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing that you also need to keep in mind - especially since it is this type of service where some purchases might be made via the telephone: check to see if the CC processors offers a virtual terminal. (This will allow the merchant to sign in, & make a charge to a consumer credit card.) Not all processors offer this & it would be a good thing to have. Plus if they sell the tickets at the seminars as well, they could use the virtual terminal there as well.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a step by step list you referred to >>

http://kb.monstercommerce.com/quickg...g_startedI.asp