SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Business Development

I worked 7 yeas as a contractor for a company X. They know me as expert in software design and development/production. After I left them I started my own small software development company.

That employer X called me two times in the last 6 months and asked to talk to project managers in two big companies where X wants to outsource projects. X needs me to help them to deliver these projects to production and they also informed that I have a business. My expectation is to make more money via X, I can organize the work in my company to still sutisfy the customers.

When I come to talk to project managers they always ask me "what I do today". I told them that "I worked for X in the past, now I do projects in my own company, and I interested to deliver their projects to production through company X."

I paid attention, that after I said that my business runs well, the discussion goes to end. I also got impression that these projects managers expected me to ask them for the work (through my own company) and not via X.

The problem is that I cannot effort to waste my expensive time in the talks, which not bring real business, I'm too busy..

1. So, can it be that X sends me to these talks to check my current state in a chance to hire me back, but at some low salary?

2. Should I accept to work directly for companies, which I reach through X? Should I suggest that? I not signed new documents with X, but I think in such cases I should work through X, otherwise X will not contact me in case of real opportunity. What do you recommend?

3. I need to decide if I should provide my support to X in the future and if their initiatives can produce real business?

Please advice.

Evgeny Gesin
    http://www.javadesk.com

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps one of the key areas you may need to think of working on his how you place value on your time. Your time isn't just valuable when you're being paid for it. In fact in many ways the time you spending creating 'paid time' is more important than the paid time itself.

For instance, a local telco provider has been courting us for 11 months on several projects. They spend 1-20 hours/week working on prepping these projects (just the sales team, nevermind the actual implementation team) and have yet to see a dollar out of us.

Let me just reiterate that. Nearly 1000 hours of work put in and they haven't see a dollar yet.

But when they do, they'll be seeing more than 1M$/year from us so it's worthwhile.

Just my take. I don't really feel there's enough info to answer your questions, but I picked up on this line halfway into your explanation:

The problem is that I cannot effort to waste my expensive time in the talks, which not bring real business, I'm too busy...
    J
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy W.
    Just my take. I don't really feel there's enough info to answer your questions, but I picked up on this line halfway into your explanation...
    Quote Originally Posted by Evgeny
    The problem is that I cannot effort to waste my expensive time in the talks, which not bring real business, I'm too busy...
    I'm not being paid for that time! I start think that I need to charge X next time and take project if I have a chance to work with companies directly, not via X.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I realise that...

Did you read what I wrote? Specifically:

Your time isn't just valuable when you're being paid for it
    ?

J

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, you've edited your post.

The question is: do you currently have enough business to occupy all your time for the foreseeable future?

If yes, then you don't need to worry about future business and then yes you are too busy. If you don't have your time filled up 40 hours per week for the next 6 months though, going to pre-contract meetings is part of the job and no you aren't too busy.

J

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy W.
    Ah, you've edited your post.

The question is: do you currently have enough business to occupy all your time for the foreseeable future?

If yes, then you don't need to worry about future business and then yes you are too busy. If you don't have your time filled up 40 hours per week for the next 6 months though, going to pre-contract meetings is part of the job and no you aren't too busy.

J
    Thank you for that reply. Yes, I'm very busy, we work 10-12 hours a day. I will do pre-contract meeting. BTW should I charge for the time of meeting, because it also can be a waste of time with X... Can you give me some good advises how to drive the meeting, what questions to ask, what to sign and what not, etc. The X is an outsourcing company.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're already busy, why are you doing pre-contract meetings? Live your life!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to take more work to grow my company. If I make $$ this year, why not to make $$$ next year.

Also I got an advice (from other place) to charge X for the time I create "paid time", and to take project, if customer is willing to work with me directly and not via X.
    Can you post more comments.
    Last edited by evgenyg; Nov 12, 2003 at 15:44.