User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JS Guru Required 4 Cascading Menu Q

Hi

I have been putting together a DHTML menu that is the basis of a menu designed to go to a, potentially, infinite number of levels. I have a fully working copy (attached file: menu1.html), and you can see pretty much how I intend for it to work, but it has one fatal flaw. The problem with layers rendering under a select box. This is self evident when you look at the file.

When I originally wrote this I was aware of this problem but I basically forged ahead thinking I could replace the menu divs with iframes and be able to circumvent the problem quickly. Seems that that assumption was incorrect. I now have a problem on the second level of the menu, where the script cannot find either the next iframe, or the layer contained within the current iframe, I'm not sure exactly which.

The file with the iframes is attached as "menu2.html" The iframes have a file in the src attribute, which is just for css formatting. It too is attached as "style.html".

Any help is greatly appreciated on this. I've looked at it for some time, I suspect the solution is right under my nose but I just can't see it!

Anyway, thx in advance.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by grahowler; Nov 12, 2003 at 03:53.

I'll take mine raw silver trophy MikeFoster's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In IE, form controls are implemented as C++ 'window' objects - so they don't respect z-index. There's a good explanation of this here somewhere - I'll try to find it.

I'll take mine raw silver trophy MikeFoster's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here it is (thanks, beetle ).

BTW, Opera and Moz now draw their own form controls - so they do respect z-index.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couldn't see that attachment.

In the meantime, see if this helps.
    ::: certified wild guess :::

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback.

That is a good trick Adios, I hadn't thought of doing that. I was trying to write the content of the menu to the actual iframe itself. However I now realise that I was running into problems with the DOM of the iframe. Using it as a kind of masking layer is a much easier idea though and it works well.

Its strange about the attachment, I can't see it either, but when I go to edit my post it is definitely there. Any ideas?

Thx again, cheers!