SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CSS design/layout times?

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm slow, stupid, both or neither here so I thought I'd ask the CSS gurus - how long does it take you to complete a design that involves positioning?

I've spent a good portion of the last two days on this and I'm ready to go back to tables (gasp, yes, me, for this one layout!).

Any times, encouragement would be most welcome.

And if you think I'm just stupid, then please point me to some good links, I've been everywhere I can think of on the net.
    <abbey />
    HTML/XHTML/CSS coding
    Abbey Ink

Pointiest Petitions carrotflowers's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How I sympathize with you! Although I am no expert, so I won't be much help. For the site I am currently doing, I tried to (for the first time) axe tables and completely separate my formatting from structure. I'd say I spent a good few days doing this, and I didn't even touch one section.

I'm going to point out a couple links, even though you already know from experience that there are tons on the web. I found this list of links pretty good:
    http://www.websitetips.com/css/index.shtml
    then there are the sites everyone mentions, like alistapart.com, glish.com/css, http://meyerweb.com/eric/css/, thenoodleincident.com.

I think it's something that doesn't go fast right when you begin. But with more experience, it'll get faster. My best resource was right here at SP, where when I hit a wall SPers, esp Paul O'B or DougBTX, knocked it down for me. Keep practicing is my advice!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by abbey
    I've spent a good portion of the last two days on this and I'm ready to go back to tables (gasp, yes, me, for this one layout!).
    Two days... If you're sitting with someone who is an expert, then I'm sure you could learn most of what you would need to know in that time. Reading on the net, it would take longer. Experience is important too. I made two full sites in CSS+tables (mainly using table for chuncks of the page, and then using absolute positining to get them where I wanted them) before I made my first tableless site for a client.

I think that getting into CSS layouts is harder than getting into a Table based layout, but once you understand the main ideas behind CSS (Cascading is the most important part) then you should be fine. The main difference between tables and CSS is that with tables, that is all you have: tables. With CSS, there are more tools to learn, and different ones are more sutable to different situations than others.

Douglas
    Hello World

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, just to clarify, I have been using CSS for some relatively simple layouts. This time I'm trying to stack some layers/divs to achieve a particular effect and keep coming up with the wackiest layout ever.

I'm not a total noobie, I guess that's why I'm so frustrated. I can do this, really I can, just not THIS layout. aaaaaaaaaargh!

I do appreciate your encouragement though.
    <abbey />
    HTML/XHTML/CSS coding
    Abbey Ink

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just do it!
    Hello World