SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to see people of the community post the most interesting fact they know. We should all learn something knew everyday and this would be a good way to increase your knowledge.

Here is my interesting fact:
    There are 293 ways to make change for a dollar.
    Stuart Briscar Consulting - Free Website Consulting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you know that the Greek word gymnasium means "to exercise naked"? In ancient Greece, gymnasts wore no clothes when they competed.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha, that is really good. I wonder if I can gets some school from school... Nevermind. Anyone else?
    Stuart Briscar Consulting - Free Website Consulting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A headless chicken lived for 14 months read the URL below

http://home.nycap.rr.com/useless/hea...cken/mike.html
    Garlic bread, I've tasted it, it's the future

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every schoolsystem will work perfectly for less than 1% of all pupils. Around 20% or more will have trouble with it.
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

exit();
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chicken..can we try it out on you?

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mkaufman
    Chicken..can we try it out on you?

Don't make a bloody mess of it, Matt
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

exit();
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Charge 50 cents to see

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure my compadre will run at the first sight of 'headless chicken'.... He's already received enough of a ribbing about the 'fried chicken head' a few weeks back
    My 2 Cents (or is that 2.2 Cents including GST?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can beat an egg, but ye cannae beat a fish supper

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Harrison Ford has been in 8 of the Top 50 Grossing Movies Ever, totaling 2.03 billion dollars.
    'New car smell' is caused by phtylates, a plastic softener used in car upholstery

60% of all babies are named after a relative.

The world's smallest country is Vatican City, which is 17 square miles.

A guy's life expectancy is estimated at 74. In 1900, it was 46.

9% of American households had TVs in 1950. Today it is above 98%.

The sailfish is the fastest animal in water, which can travel at speeds up to 68 mph.

In 1921 there were 30,456 banks in the United States. In 1999, there were 8,675.

The United States has more prisoners than any other country with over 1.6 million. Russia is second with just over 1 million.

The hottest day ever was in Libya, recorded at 136 degrees Fahrenheit.

In 1998, South Carolinians scored lowest on the math SAT, averaging a score or 470. (I'm proudly from South Carolina)

An American will produce over 1,600 pounds of waste a year.

Chop suey was invented in 1896.

A gallon of water weighs 8.3 pounds. A gallon of gasoline weighs 5.8 pounds.

Women blink twice as much as men.

Impotence is grounds for divorce in 24 U.S. states.

Selling chewing gum in Singapore is illegal.

Roughly 2.3 Million Americans are on vacation every week.

Gabriel the Archangel is the patron saint of television.

St. Fiacre is the patron saint of cab drivers

Czechs drink more beer than any other nation, roughly 358 bottles of beer a year.

The highest toll paid for the Panama Canal was $141,344. It was for the cruise ship The Crown Princess.

Sugar Free Mr. Pibb has the highest amount of caffeine out of all sodas, even more than Mountain Dew.

Woodrow Wilson appeared on the $100,000 bill, which hasn't been printed since 1934.

James Garfield, Herbert Hoover, Harry Truman, Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan, George Bush and Bill Clinton were all left-handed.

J.F. Brondel invented the toilet in 1738.

Lou Gehrig holds the record for most home runs by a first baseman (493).

The U.S. National Debt is currently $5,651,474,173,566.

Lou Gehrig holds the record for most grand slams in a career with 23.

An average person will spend 600 hours having sex between ages 20-70.

Bats have sex while flying.

The "G-spot" is named after Dr. Ernest Grafenberg.

Joan Benoit won the first Olympic marathon for women.

The celibacy requirement for priesthood was adopted in 1215.

Americans spent more than $18 billion on lottery tickets in 1990.

A doromaniac has a compulsion to give gifts.

A sneeze can travel up to 60 miles an hour.

These facts obtained from:
    http://www.guyville.com/guy_facts.html

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting.
    Fiber
    fiber@liquid2k.com
    "Prepare yourself, it's da human beatbox"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright...all off of the top of my head (honestly! ):

- The New York Mets cap is a combination of that of the old Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Giants - the orange "NY" mix from the Giants, and the blue from the Dodgers.

- The average person will swallow roughly half a dozen spiders during his or her lifetime (in your sleep, of course).

- The average person will spend over one year of their life waiting in line.

- Women outnumber men on the planet earth (that one is very well known, actually, but might interest a few people).

- In some areas of Pennsylvania, it is illegal to sing while in the bathtub.

- People blink an average of once every 10 seconds while starting at a computer screen.

- Polar bears are left-handed.

- Scientists have found that leaving lights on and making it difficult for mice to sleep can sometimes give them cancer.

- If adusted for inflation, "Gone With the Wind", not "Titanic", is the highest-grossing film of all time.

- "Cutthroat Island" cost roughly $100 million to make, but made only $11 million, making it the least profitable film of all time.

- A composer once tried to convey a story through music only - he got some attention for his trouble, but he ultimately failed when most people came to different conclusions of what the music represented.

- A cockroach can run fifty times its own body length every second or two.

- Paul McCartney, during an online chat, received over 3 million questions from Internet users within a 30 minute span.

- Jamestown was the first permanent US colony in the New World.

- Despite what the Disney movie portrays, Pocahontas accompanied John Smith on his return to America and lived there for quite some time.

- Elizabeth I, one of the most famous and powerful women in history, was the subject of several assassination attempts and/or plots, some while she was still a teenager.

- President Teddy Roosevelt, after this terms, went on a safari in Africa with a couple of his sons. He was gone for about a month and presumed lost for the time being. He emerged out of the jungle with his family and a broken leg, surprised that everyone was worried.

- Roosevelt also once fired one of his servants for failing to feed a goldfish, resulting in its death.

- Friends of C.S. Lewis (C.S. = "Clive Staples") called him "Jack."

- The Beatles' hit "Yesterday" was voted by MTV and Rolling Stone as the greatest Pop song of all time.

- Citizen Kane was named the best movie of all time by AFI.

- Some Like It Hot, likewise, was named the funniest movie of all time by the same organization.

- Since the Cubs last won the World Series, the Titanic was built, set sail, sank, had a movie made out of it, and had a remake of the first movie made out of it.

- In inflation is taken into account, John Rockefeller is the richest man of all time (on record). His $900 million in 1923 (or was it 1903? I forget), adjusted to our times, would equal just under $200 billion - over twice what Bill Gates boasts. In addition, Rockefeller donated much of his money to charity - in the end, he kept $20 million for himself.

- Other than The Bible, the Guinness Book of World Records is the best selling book of all time.

- Amazon.com visitors named "The Lord of the Rings" the best book of the Millennium.

- The two Kellogg brothers (founders of Kellog Inc - yes, the cereal company) were constantly fighting later in their lives and had many disputes over each other and the company in general.

- Milton Hershey failed roughly half a dozen times before striking it rich. He did so using much loaned money.

- A study has shown that you're more more likely to see a Nike Swoosh over the course of a day than you are a Crucifix (Cross).

- In an interview around 1990 (possibly 1991), Ted Danson was quoted as saying "We only have ten years left to save this planet." LOL.

- William Shatner speaks Esperanto, and even acted in an all-Esperanto movie. Sad, isn't it?

- Abraham Lincoln lost over a dozen elections over the course of his life (might be slightly exaggerated, but the number is close enough for the point to count).

- Thomas Edison developed a sleeping complex as a result of working on the lightbulb for so long and so late. He was never the same afterwards.

- Roughly 93% of the American people are right-handed.

- There is an organization that hands out an award called the "Golden Raspberry Award" (or "Razzies", as they've come to be known) to the worst movies of the year...IE: Worst Actor, Worst Picture, Worst Actress, etc. Recent winners include Striptease, Showgirls, and Spice World. http://www.razzies.com

- Mark Burnett, the brains behind the hit show "Suvivor" has allegedly hired nearly 2 dozen people to spread false rumors about the show on the Internet and generate buzz for the show.

- No female contestent has ever won the "Big Brother" show/contest.

- A recent study has shown that excessively scrubbing and cleaning vegetables before you eat them is a bad idea, because some of the chemicals outside them serve as a protective coating of sorts from certain bacteria.

I'll let ya'll know if I think of any more - but I won't look any up!

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could go on for ever, but I'll just point you all to a great site: http://www.dumblaws.com - It's great

Oh yeah, and did you know the secret ingredient in Butterfingers is corn flakes?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From memory:

John Harvey Kellogg (As above mentioned by Chris as Kellogg's founder) had about 40+ adobted children.

J. H. Kellogg (Same as above) never yelled, spanked, or got angry with his children, but used other means, such as letting them reap their own "rewards," to punish them.

Corn Flakes were first invented with the purpose in mind as a healthy food for residents at the Battle Creek Sanitarium, which J. H. Kellogg was in charge of.

J. H. Kellogg was so busy writing health literature that he would often have an assistant run beside him to take down his notes or manuscripts as he jogged or rode his bike.

The word "fletcherise," meaning "to chew slowley," was first placed in an English dictionary because J. H. K. (who else?) wrote a pamplet on it after talking to a man by the name of Fletcher who wanted people to think of him when they thought of chewing their food slowley--which is the healthy way.

Had enough of J. H. K.?

Richard

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys need to check out http://www.uselessknowledge.com/ - I'd also recommend the newsletter .
    Football-Punter.co.uk
    The Punter's Lounge - the best football forum on the web.

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mother's Day was invented by a West Virginian