SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Merry Christmas anyway. Keep it clean. I'd hate for an argument to break out on my account, so to speak.

Anyway, thank you both for your opinions.

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris, a few points:

-Why don't you build your own PC? I've done it too, and it's cheaper and lots of fun

-NEVER buy a P4. RDRAM isn't worth it. Problem is that the accesstime is much too high, it simply lags.

-I definitely recommend 256 PC133 SDRAM.
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris, man, arguments are not possible! So don't worry about that. I won't participate in a major argument of opinion anyway... everyone has one, so just let it be.

Like Elledan said, building your own PC might be an idea... and it could be fun, for you. For me, I just can't figure it out and then I'll mess something up.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An idea.. If I already had a PC, here is how I would spend $1000.

(approx prices)
    Gigabyte 7ZX.. 90
    PC133 2x128mb.. 120
    Athlon 1ghz.. 200
    DiamondMax45+ 100
    ATI AllinWonder 120

= 630 = $1000
    Use your old case, keyboard mouse etc. Only problem is that if you need a new monitor, you may have to trim those specs down a bit..

Of course, sometimes you just get fed up with your PC and want a *new* one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where could I get those things at those prices? If I'd have to put it together myself, you can count me out. The only hardware-related thing I've done is install a network card.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there noone you know that can help you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, there are some people - but it'll take a long time either way, and obviously I won't be looking at any guarentee or warranty.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't each piece of hardware have its own warranty?

And Chris, I know how you feel, heck, I haven't even installed a network card! The most hardware related thing I've done is plug in a SCSI cord! heh

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    iFroggy is right, each piece should come with a warranty.

I would have built my own system, but I didn't for a few reasons:
    1. I like Dell
    2. I wanted a warranty over the whole system
    3. My parents wouldn't let me build a computer
    4. I don't have time to order all the parts, make sure they arrive, piece them together, etc.

However, I predict the next computer in this house will be one I build. This summer, I think I'll build a little cheap box for my family

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I personally dont have much experience with Dell, but I highly recommend HP. We just got a brand new HP with 850mhz and 128 megs of RAM and it runs really good. Go HP, 800 mhz, 128 mb of ram, 20+ gigs, install Windows 2000 and you will be set.

PS (I also recommend a Photosmart P1000 printer, they print great!)

exit();
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a toshiba laptop and an HP desktop. I really like the HP.

JUST DON'T GO WITH TOSHIBA!

I've had TERRIABLE experiences with them, so have many other people!

I wouldn't get a gateway either (my family has one..not me)

You can't go wrong with choosing a dell, I'd upgrade to Windows 2000 or Linux though if it comes with WinME

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mkaufman
    I have a toshiba laptop and an HP desktop. I really like the HP.

JUST DON'T GO WITH TOSHIBA!
    I thought you were instantly in love with that laptop...except for the battery thing
    Originally posted by mkaufman
    You can't go wrong with choosing a dell, I'd upgrade to Windows 2000 or Linux though if it comes with WinME
    You can choose to have Windows 2000 and not Me. Definately don't get Windows Me if possible, get 2000!

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is only one name brand of PC that is worthy of my money and that is Dell. I'll work on IBM's in the office but only if someone else buys them and has desktop support on staff. I will not use a Compaq as a Primary machine and would never use a Gateway. All other brands are insignificant except Micron for its Notebooks and Sony for its style.

With that said, I will probably never buy another Brand Name PC. The case I am using right now is 5 years old. Everything else has been updated or replaced over the year with newer components. I am thinking of buying a new BYO case with a PIII-933 MHZ CPU and motherboard for $450. Except for RAM (I only have PC-100), all my other components are up to date.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To give you an idea how a self-build PC looks, here the specs of my PC:

Duron 600
    MSI KT7-Pro
    128 Mb PC133 SDRAM (soon 256 Mb)
    Voodoo III 3000 (Glide is very handy)
    Soundblaster 128 PCI
    10/100 Mbit auto-switch networkcard (Accord, with Realtek chipset. Very cheap thus)
    10 Mbit Intel-based networkcard (For cable internet)
    40x CD-ROM drive (cheap )
    1.44" floppy-drive (from an old 486)
    Quantum Fireball 20 GB, 5400 rpm.
    250 Mb Zipdrive (for backups)
    ATX case with 250W PSU

It took me a little less than 2 hours to put everything together. Within half an hour I had Win2k installed and was ready to use this PC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say Compaq! I must have one of the most stable Win98 systems. Haven't had any problems with it except the 'Sleep' feature, but it works again now

I mean I use thgis computer for 1.5 years now, haven never had to replace hardware and it is if more stable now as in teh beginning (since I installed IE5.5) I have heavy stuff connected to my PC and still it can keep up with all the stuff. VERY good computers, those Compaq Presarios

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with CJ. hehe

I have had mine for 2 years now (almost down to the day) and I have had to replace nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to check out the Anandtech Forums ( http://forums.anandtech.com/ ).

I bet you'll reguarly see the word 'Comqrap' there

I know for myself that I'll never buy a brand PC, I trust only myself with building a new PC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by ifroggy
    You know how you recommend ThinkHost? I recommend Compaq the same way!

I like Compaq's a lot and I'm also a shareholder. I consider Dell to be a cheaply made computer, and Yes, I have some experience with them.
    <Edited by ifroggy on 12-24-2000 at 03:42 PM>
    Your joking right. RIGHT???

COMPAQ SUCKS. they are all propietory, and way overpriced. and ugly looking too.

I LOVE dell, you wont be dissapointed. belive me they aren't a "cheaply made computer" they are wonderful.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by jumpthru
    COMPAQ SUCKS. they are all propietory, and way overpriced. and ugly looking too.
    Your wrong, slightly. Their old computers required you to buy new hardware from Compaq, but the newest Compaqs don't.

However, I agree with just about everything else you mentioned

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well... jumpthru. It's my personal opinion. Thanks for not respecting it.

"COMPAQ SUCKS"? Pretty classy, I'll leave it at that.

As for price, in my own case, I have found Compaq's to be cheaper in the products that my family or I have purchased. But, of course, computers will vary with price and whatever specials may or may not be present. And Dell probably is cheaper is many cases... I don't argue that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw in the local newspaper an advertisement for a Compaq PC. PIII 1Ghz, 128 MB SDRAM and a bunch of software and... ARGH!! WinME.

It costed about US$2692. I'm quite certain that I can build a PC myself, same specs, but much cheaper.

So either Compaq PC's (if it's worth the name 'PC') are really overpriced, or all brand PC's are ridiculously overpriced, which seems to be the case.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, as I said, the same thing on one computer can cost more on one, and less on another and they all differ. Just speaking from my own experience in buying PCs.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Elledan
    I saw in the local newspaper an advertisement for a Compaq PC. PIII 1Ghz, 128 MB SDRAM and a bunch of software and... ARGH!! WinME.
    You could format over WinMe and use Windows 2000 and Linux...I don't see what's so bad about that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WinME seems a lot better than any other version of Windows - at least be happy that, according to ya'll, it doesn't suck as bad as the others. I especially like the part about replacing system files if they're deleted - I believe I've done that several times without realizing it.

And yes, Elledan, you can save money by putting your own computer together - what you cannot save, however, is both the time taken to put it together yourself, the time taken to buy all the seperate parts and make sure they get to you, and the time taken to learn enough about computers to be able to make it all work, and troubleshoot it if you screw up.

It's a simple tradeoff - I personally am going to leave the computer building to someone else for now - if, someday, I have no choice but to take the time to learn how to put one together due to a lack of cash, I will do so, but until then, I'm going to focus on things that I know I need to know.

Anyway, that's enough out of me for now. If I can find the same specs on a Compaq as on a Dell for less cash, I'll go with it...if not, it's Dell all the way. I only called Compaq support once, and they were 100% perfect in every way, FYI.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Price of Compaq: With taxes it is about teh same as Packard Bell's and other computers where you get real SERVICE like free internet and direct support. But I can buy them through someone company (which is legal) which makes them a lot cheaper because there are less taxes on them (5% instead of 21%).

2. I have never bought anything regarding hardware through Compaq. I ordered RAM now and it will work even though it's not through Compaq.

3. Many big companies use Compaq. The whole EU gov. uses Compaq, why do you think? Right, because they are much more stable and require less personal to fix them all the time.

4. The looks of a computer is just a matter of taste. I like mine, it was one of the first 'designed' computers.

5. Regarding Anandtech and Compaq. Must I say more than Anandtech is a bunch of amateur computer pro-wannabees who think they can outsmart Win-programmers. Professionals don't hang out at Anandtech. They're too busy with their jobs. Professionals will probably build their own systems but i'm sure they would choose for a manufacturer like Compaq if they had to do the network for a whole company.