User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CJ,

What about 21% taxes... the only taxes I pay is the 7% sales tax in Mississippi. Also, I get free shipping and handling because I'm a shareholder.

I agree with you on all other points.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a sad email from the sales department at Umax.com they are no longer in the pc sales world, and only doing scanners and digital cameras.

I was very saddened to hear this, as my Umax PIII 600mhz 256m ram, 64mb video card has not given me a days problem and now that it's time to upgrade I went on over to umax to purchase a new one only to be told that they dont sell them anymore. Man talk about bummed, now I need to find another company that makes a computer that doesn't have everything built onto the motherboard.

I went to best buys to look at what they have, and their limited now to compaq's (which I've had nothing but problems with: my old compaq 500mhz) and HP's which also have everything built onto the motherboard.

I guess I'll have to build one from scratch, and utilize as much of the stuff that I have now as possible.

It seems that computers are becoming more and more disposable every month, I mean when I first started computing long long time ago in a galaxy not that unlike our own, you could upgrade cpu, video, sound etc. Now the manufacturers are building the video, sound, game accessories sockets all onto the motherboard, so when you decide you need something more than an 8mb video card which shares your main ram, you have to find a way of disabling the built in motherboard, when I was using my compaq, compaq told me that it was not possible to disable it, but rather I should just add a new video card and choose which one to hook up to, that caused conflicts with some of my programs so I had to purchase another computer, the Umax that i use now. So, computers are now disposable.
    Big Bummed Guy,
    Bbox
    <Edited by brainbox on 12-28-2000 at 12:41 PM>
    Large enough to host you - Small enough to care
    http://www.HostingBeacon.com
    email support@hostingbeacon.com

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by CJ
    3. Many big companies use Compaq. The whole EU gov. uses Compaq, why do you think? Right, because they are much more stable and require less personal to fix them all the time.
    Maybe in Europe. In the U.S. Compaq is pretty much regulated to the HOME PC market. Where I work, they had all Compaq machines but just finished switching them all out to the last server and workstation. The company they replaces them with... IBM

The reason they replaced them?

Lack of Support from the Manufacturer combined with low return on investment due to continuous hardware malfunction.

How often the Compaq servers crashed under Windows NT?
    every 96 hours.

How often the IBM servers crash running the same Software?
    Still waiting 3 months later.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by W. Luke
    How often the Compaq servers crashed under Windows NT?
    every 96 hours.

How often the IBM servers crash running the same Software?
    Still waiting 3 months later.
    At work, we have three IBM Nefinity servers which basically control the network for 275-300 iMacs. This is their 3rd year, and they haven't crashed a single time. They run 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They were manually restarted four times to keep the RAM clean. IBM servers are extremely reliable.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by TWTCommish
    WinME seems a lot better than any other version of Windows - at least be happy that, according to ya'll, it doesn't suck as bad as the others. I especially like the part about replacing system files if they're deleted - I believe I've done that several times without realizing it.
    WinMe seems like the best version of Windows? Windows 2000 is definately the most powerful and is the most stable version of Windows around. I definately think Windows 2000 is for you. If you are thinking of playing games, consider dual-booting into Windows Me or 98 (I dual boot into Me).

Yes, Windows Me replaces system files that are deleted. Windows 2000 has a similar feature. It once gave me a warning when I tried to install a program...it said something along the lines of "System files have been replaced, and this may cause instability. It is recommended you restore your files, please insert your Windows 2000 CD and click OK"

Windows Me is a spit-shined version of Windows 98 that was thrown together in a few months after Microsoft realized it could not acheive total compatibility with Windows 2000. Windows 2000 was one of Microsofts attempts to ditch the 16 bit kernel that Windows 9x has.

The upgrade from Windows 95 to Windows 98 is a lot different than the upgrade from Windows 98 to Windows Me.

Anyway, check out this decision tree: http://www.cnet.com/Popups/Win2000/index.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IBM and Intel are dead in Europe.... Why? Because they just can't be bothered to build a European site or even sites in the respective countries. No Intel.be. That's the reason why I didn't even bother looking at their WebCams. Compaq has a very extensive help site. And err, my mother worplace runs TOTALLY on Compaq and I have never heard they have problems. And their website even runs on their main server... (the site has nice traffic) Anyway I would never go with a company who can't even be bothered to open a Belgian website, no matter how good they are.

iFroggy: in belgium taxes are at 21%

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by W. Luke
    Originally posted by CJ
    3. Many big companies use Compaq. The whole EU gov. uses Compaq, why do you think? Right, because they are much more stable and require less personal to fix them all the time.
    Maybe in Europe. In the U.S. Compaq is pretty much regulated to the HOME PC market.
    You make it seem that we in Europe are stupid Now maybe it's because in Europe products have much better quality (german cars, ...) The Compaq maybe get put together by more knowledged persons, who knows

/me likes being mean

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    21%... whoa... thats robbery!

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Europe and I have owned a compaq and I tell you never agian! The machien was really physically badly out together, it really did not seem like a good quality machine. For a desktop I defintely go for building it myself and for laptops I love my Dell or I would get a Toshiba.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by ifroggy
    21%... whoa... thats robbery!
    Hey, taxes here in America are way higher than that overall - I'm not all that surprised.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    21% sales taxe though? Thats crazy.

Yeah, the taxes are high... I hate it when I buy and sell a stock I made a ton on, its like I shared the stock tip with the government. LOL!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes 21% is the highest of Europe...

Nicky: you live in the UK... Is that considered being Europe?

/me tries everything to promote Compaq

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me too CJ. Although, I don't really like the printers they make yet. I have a HP P1000 Photosmart, right now I believe HP makes great printers. I also have an HP Scanner with JBL Speakers (direct from Compaq).

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every computer macufacturer is going to have their share of former customers who hate that manufacturer and their share of former and current customers who love the company.

Sometimes people get lemons or have a bad experience that is not indicitive of the usual experience with that company. Some people just have different standards for what they consider good service. Some people get more upset about minor problems than others (for example. I have a cheapo eMachines computer that I use. The power supply went out on it the other day. To some, that's a major annoyance. To me, it just meant I drove the two blocks to Fry's, bought a new power supply and installed it in about three minutes. No problem. It doesn't mean that I'm better than a person who is annoyed by a burned out power supply. It just means we have different levels of annoyance and different perceptions of the company because of that).

In my experience, you can't go wrong with either Compaq or Dell. I've used Dell machines quite a bit at work and at school, and I've been fond of the way they worked, and I've not had any problems.

By the same token, I've had friends who have had Compaq machines and had absolutely no problems with them.

If you decide to get the Dell, chances are, you won't be sorry. Same for Compaq.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally like Compaq. As soon as I sell this software, I am planning on buying a Compaq 1700 series laptop. Also, I noticed a discussion about crashing and my machine running Windows 2000 hasn't crashed yet and it's been on 24/7 for months .

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CJ: We have a 23% sales tax in Norway...

About which computer to buy, I recommend putting one together yourselves. Most preassembled PCs have a weak component or two that drag the overall performance down.

A fast and cheap system to build today:

800 MHz Duron CPU
    Geforce2 MX gfx card
    MSI K7T Pro2 motherboard
    128 MB Crucial PC133 CL2 RAM
    40 GB, 7200 RPM HD
    Soundblaster Live sound card
    Vidar Langberget
    Editor
    www.templeoftech.com