SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been working on this for a while under a couple different names and its finally coming together. (*Note- The forms are not yet active). The yellow at the bottom is because people have tried to e-mail me on non-existing email address' aready, so please disregard it. Also ignore the pop-ups as I'll be on my own server soon.

Really just looking for feedback on the design (load time, layout, etc) and the wording (mispelled words, bad phrases, etc). Now that I think about it, don't rate the support page wither since it's really just random information thrown together at this point. Everything else is fair game though. Thanks.

Site Located at: http://syanet.virtualave.net/index1.htm
    <Edited by syanet on 12-30-2000 at 03:34 AM>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

Well, there is a problem providing reviews. Lots and lots of pop ups.

If your interested in free web hosting for you site, click here to sign up and see the quality service we offer.
    I recommend that it be modified to either "If your interest is free web hostting for ......" or "If you are interested in free web hosting for ....."

I recommend that it be modified to "....register for our free newsletter."

It will keep you informed on our service and occasionally run a contest.
    Consider modification of the wording to something like this "Registering will enable (name) to inform you of additional services and contests."
    We look forward you seeing you around.
    Consider this. "We look forward to serving you."

In the introduction, tell them your service is the best, then by the end of the introduction, you are ready to pass them off as an old an valued friend. The next selected section of the page meerly moves the process forward.

I really hope these comments help. I have seen spin gain and lose customers. Sometimes, they are gained with spin, sometimes with solid quality. But they are kept with service. Don't shy from making a claim, just be ready to back it up.

Best of luck, love the site.

peace
    <Edited by edshuck on 12-25-2000 at 11:36 PM>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, the pops are annoying

other than that, the site is good, it loads fast, the only thing I would get rid of is the "<" in the categoris, or you can add a '>' in the other side of the text, but just one looks kind of silly

just my 0.02

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site is good over all .. like everyone else said the pop-ups are a little on the annoying side. At the bottom of the page I would move the copyright info down onto the blue background, if its not going to be a link. Right now I think its a link that doesn't work.
    Also I would considered reverseing the yellow green combination. Put the e-mail address in yellow (it's and attention getter) and the other text in the green, (maybe make it a lighter green?). Other than that it looks pretty good.

Chuck

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Done and done. I changed all the text edshuck suggested. Replaced the < with -. The copytight isn't a link, but the Privacy Statement and TOS are. The green/yellow sentace below will be gone when I get the e-mails mentioned in the text working. And the pop ups are only there until I move onto my own server. Anymore suggestions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi

did you upload the changed version?

peace

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Must have been in the process of it. It's there now.

exit();
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks a bit dark, although it blends in together nicely, except for the red and green in the logo.

Also, why not make the design 85% across the screen or something? I think that'd look much nicer.

Good job though!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site has a nice design and is fast and easy to load, though you could do with having a couple of extra things in terms of hosting.

1) PHP4.0.3 support
    2) MySQL

If you can through in as many extra's as possible and have it well marketed then you will get a lot of more people signing up as they want the most they can get for the least amount.

Otherwise a nice site.

Thanks,
    Webmastermattd
    http://cgi-bin.spaceports.com/~webmattd/index.php
    WebmasterMattD
    WebmasterMattD.NET

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your right I've decided that in order to be more competitive I'll offer PHP and MySQL (see trading board). Any more suggestions on the design?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New logo...What do you think?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by syanet
    New logo...What do you think?
    I liked the previous one much better. The red and green don't blend in at all, and the text is smushed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good site. I have done quite a few reviews and it's pretty hard to find a good free webpage provider that wants their site reviewed. Good job with this. I am definitely impressed. The colors are good, the navigation is extremely easy, there are some problems with wording, but that's about it. I would make sure that you work in some better wording on some of your introductions and such, but the site isn't done, so I don't know how it will work out in the end yet.

Good luck though!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your site looks very professional and loads quickly. It may not be a graphic intensive design, but I do like the style. I think that some people may have commented on the dark colours used for the site, but personally I don't see why all web sites must have bright vibrant colours to be attractive.

I'm not really sure how successful your web host will be considering how sites people offer the same free hosting packages with the same ackward banners.

I haven't really read the other feedback from users, but I was wondering why are you using a free web hosting company for your web hosting offering free web space?

I spelled the word "colour" with a "u" because I am Canadian and of course, that is the proper way of spelling it :=)

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just so you guys can review. I'll be only my own server soon. Everyone asks that although I though I made it clear in my opening post. Oh well. I hate alot of graphics and vibrant colors so I made my site fast loading with darker colors since I prefer them. I was thinking of other ways to make money, but can't find many. I've seen one new hosting company that lets users place search boxes instead of banners. However I don't know if that is a viable option.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just so you guys can review. I'll be only my own server soon. Everyone asks that although I though I made it clear in my opening post.
    You're right, you did make that very clear in your opening and I knew you probably mentioned it somewhere in this thread but it was just laziness that caused me to miss that important info. Sorry

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made a few more cosmetic changes although most of the last few days was spent correcting text. Let me know what you think.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll bring this up one more time. I spent a lot of time re- doing much of the text and added some new sections. This will proably be the final form I leave it in when I launch, so let me know of any defects. Everything should work correctly except the application form.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Made a few last minute changes. When i realized my logo was nothing but text, and deleted it and replaced the logo with standard HTML increasing lead time. I also made the site look as good as possible in NS 4.x, although NS 6.0 really distorts it. I'm willing to take any last minute advice before I open.