SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile How do I change a CSS Navigation Menu Globally

I currently have a text link navigation menu on my home page. I am revising my site which consists of a lot of pages. From time to time I need to update my navigation menu and thus I spend a lot of time doing one page at a time.

Is there any way to create a CSS Navigation Menu and be able to go to one file to update/revise it and then be able to link the file to the other pages in my website?

In searching the Internet I have found various ways to do this using Javascript, but I wanted to use CSS, if possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the navigation on one of my sites done with CSS, and I can change it easily BUT (always one of those) I am doing it by using a seperate file and SSI. If your host allows SSI, this might be the route for you.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keriam
    I have the navigation on one of my sites done with CSS, and I can change it easily BUT (always one of those) I am doing it by using a seperate file and SSI. If your host allows SSI, this might be the route for you.
    Thank you. That sounds like the way to go. Did you just name the one "separate file" with the .shtml extension - so that it could be recognized as a SSI.

Also, is it just a matter of uploading that one file to the server. (my host company does allow SSI)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, you would have to rename every file that calls the SSI with the .shtml extension. That could be a lot of work, or if you can, add these lines to your .htaccess file

Code:
     AddType text/x-server-parsed-html .html 
    AddType text/x-server-parsed-html .htm
    Then you can leave everything named with the .html or .htm extensions.