SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Dreamweaver problem with CSS?

I have tried using both Dreamweaver MX and MX 2004 and I still get this same problem:

I create a class, say .thistext and assign attributes to it like font size, etc. But if I handcode this in the external stylesheet, through DW, sometimes the class is identified and sometimes it isn't. In DW, the text of the .thistext is blue, not the usual pink, which denotes the class as being recognized by DW.

The problem isn't my code; I use quite simple CSS and don't use a lot of shortcuts. And I use the CSS that I've always used so I know there's nothing wrong with it.

Sometimes just deleting a line of CSS code makes the next declarations "invalid" and unrecognized. Even something as simple as defining margins for the Body in the external style sheet is not recgnized.

To make matters worse, the css is visibly working in the Design mode of CSS but fails in the browser test (f12)

So how come DW recognized some CSS and disregards others. I realize this sounds weird, since DW MX and 2004 are specifically meant to be great CSS tools but for some reason or another, the code I create on my own is simply not recognized.
    http://www.soapbox101.com

Formerly known as RockNRollPig Shpigford's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If ".thistext" is blue that means the tag above wasn't closed. In other words you might have done the following:

.text1 {
    font-size:10px

.thistext {
    font-size:10px:
    }

Notice .text1 doesn't have the closing bracket. Check that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that's not it. I always close them with the required bracket
    http://www.soapbox101.com

Formerly known as RockNRollPig Shpigford's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could you possibly post a screen shot of the problem or copy and paste the code here?

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes it's a forgotten ";" that causes the problem. I've had it happen and I always find some little thing I've left out eventually.