SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

eCommerce site that doesn't have products - exactly

I'm doing a storefront for a client that is selling time-based access to different parts of her site that contain training modules. The customer would purchase a module and in return receive a password that was good for a period of time (say 3 months) that would give him access to a particular directory containing that training module.

I was thinking that this would be similar to selling shareware where the customer gives the credit card info and in return receives an e-mail containing a URL where he can download the software and so I've been looking at regsoft.com as a solution. It appears they can handle what I'm looking for in terms of e-mailing a password instead of a URL, but they don't really seem to have the concept that the customer might purchase more than one module at a time. Also (and I guess I could work around this somehow), their order forms are really ugly.

Does anyone know of a similar solution that might be able to handle what I'm looking for or perhaps a way to do this that I haven't thought of? I'm on a really tight deadline here so I'd like something that does as much as possible for me and the client doesn't really want to get into the whole credit card handling issue so she liked how regsoft handled all that. The rest of the site is a .NET solutions so whatever we implement has to work with that.

Any and all advice would be helpful. I've already gotten lots of tips that I'll be investigating so far.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couldn't you just put the time in a database field & once it expires, it denies access to the consumer & the consumer can then buy another block of time? I am sure that .NET would work great with that.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey Bryant
    Couldn't you just put the time in a database field & once it expires, it denies access to the consumer & the consumer can then buy another block of time? I am sure that .NET would work great with that.
    Yes, that's what I was planning to do and I was going to let regsoft.com handle the rest. The main problem is that regsoft seems to only let one product be on one order form at a time and in our case, a customer could easily purchase more than one training module. She wants an actual "store" where you go to a page and check off what you want to buy, as opposed more of an amazon module where you view pages and every page has a "Buy Now" button and eventually you go to your cart and check out. Does that make sense?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it does. It seems that regsoft.com charges quite a bit for their services & do not offer what your client needs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It appears that SWREG offers what you need. Their intermediate level integration would let you pass several products and quantities together. Plus, their order process will connect back to your server to generate passwords or create user accounts.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PayPal Subscriptions would support this fairly easily.

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr...-intro-outside

You can configure it so that you issue the username and password or you can have PayPal issue a username and password.
    Pricetack - sell your goods with automatic markdowns

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for both suggestions. I'm intrigued by Paypal's solution as that is almost exactly what we are doing, but my client doesn't want the require people to have to sign up for Paypal. I'm very impressed by swreg, though, and will probably go that route. It looks like I can pretty much do whatever I need.

Thanks for the help and the suggestions and both solutions are significant cost savings as well, which is always nice.