SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you have a big fan group of people, blogs are useless unless you like talking to yourself.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't count myself as popular, but I get 2000 readers a day, and about 100K pageviews/month. Again, not huge, but not bad.

I write for myself. The parts I love about blogging are the social aspect, the concept of opening up my ideas for review (by others or myself) as well as the ability to search my thoughts: knowledge management.

Blogging's something for anyone and everyone. I can't think of anyone who can't benefit from knowing more people, never forgetting a thought again and improving on their thoughts with little or no effort.

For some blogging will be like a diary: a historical record of their thoughts at a moment in time.

For others it'll be like speed-networking. You get to know people in a shallow way and then develop a relationship.

For still others it'll be something else entirely.

Most people who don't "get" blogging have never really tried to look past the teenage girls who "oooh, he's so cute" their way through every day.

Even for those girls, though, there's value. Psychologically speaking it's an incredibly valuable outlet.

Sorry, but many people are too busy being closed minded about blogging to see the potential. If you don't do it, cool. But don't say it's useless "unless you have a big fan group or like to hear your own voice" (to paraphrase).
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, they might just be people entering the site and leaving. Of course, the amount of readers a blog has depends on the quality of the blogs. Many blogs are just written by uninteresting people who do nothing all day long. To fill they space, they make an entry whenever they take a nap, eat a meal or use the bathroom. You can already tell how exciting the rest of it is.

The reason I don't like the whole idea of "blogging" is because it wastes time. I can see how it can be interesting, and possibly useful, if you record everything you do/think every day. But is it really worth spending an amount of your personal time every day? I guess the idea of "more writing" after I finish an essay for school just isn't very attractive to me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No offence mate, but 2 things.

First, you're talking about wasting time while being on a forum. A blog provides all of the benefits of a forum, except it's on your time, in your space, with people you agree with.

Second, every site's traffic is relative. A blog's isn't more so. Sure, I get odd searches, but consistently getting 1000-3000 visitors a day isn't bad considering the site doesn't sell anything and (according to an earlier poster) "has no value".

The fact is that I've made a slew of business deals through my blog, as well as getting 'ins' at several companies, including Microsoft. I don't have a job yet, but that's cool. I've met some of the best people there are to meet from the leads of many product groups (longhorn, vs.net, asp.net, .net, IE, office, exchange, sharepoint, frontpage, excel) through to people in fairly senior roles (had several conversations with Eric Rudder, who is great... he's in charge of roughly half of Microsoft... very cool guy).

These are things no other medium has offered me. It has little to do with writing. The writing's easy. It takes hardly any time to write 2 paragraphs off the cuff (assuming you can type). Heck, the length of your post is longer than most people's blog entries.

A lot of benefits, no drawbacks, and a lot of fun.

It might not be for you, but I don't see how anyone can say it wastes time unless their frame of reference is skewed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingoal

No! This was just a school assignment I did a year ago. I don't post to it really

I do mean to start a blog one day though...
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    jeremy, forgive me, i am one of your infrequent readers, obviously nowhere near frequent enough, because i thought you did get a new job, in winnipeg
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rudy, I did. It's not what I was told it was going to be. I'm making the most of it, but I'm also looking for my next opportunity.