User Tag List

Thread: Lining up text

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Lining up text

This inquiry pertains to the text navigation (which currently contains no active links) shown in the black box found here:
    http://northshoredesign.com/macomber/project_test.html

There are two columns of text; the text on the left is the primary nav, the text on the right is the sub nav for whichever text element on the left is selected (highlighted in blue text). (Yes, I know it's cramped; I'm just the programmer on this job, not the designer.)

Dilemna: I need to get the text on the right to line up precisely in relation to its parent nav text on the left. In the example shown, this means having "Projects" and "Housing" line up on the same baseline ... which, right now, it does for me in Mac OS X Internet Explorer 5.

In cases where the parent nav is higher up on the left-hand list, allowing enough space for the respective sub-nav to extend downward rather than upward, the first line of the sub-nav needs to share a baseline with the first line of the parent nave text.

Currently, this nav is simply a nested table with three columns. The text on the left is all in one cell, the text on the right is all in one cell (with a spacer column between the two) and each entry is separated with paragraph breaks and line breaks. In the example I linked to previously, I have accomplished pushing down the sub-nav on the right by placing a cell above it and dropping in a spacer image with the height sized accordingly.

However, I'm running into cross-platform/cross-browser issues wherein the CSS line-height specs used in the text on the left is ignored (most notably in IE6 for Windows 98, for whatever that's worth), which throws off the alignment of text on the right.

I'm sure there's a more intelligent way to do this. Perhaps a many-celled table with each individual line of text on the left and right residing in its own cell, with a spacer image in other cells to separate the various items in the two lists? Something less complicated?

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI: I am using a table with cells for each line of text in the nav now, which has given me the control I need for lining up selections on each side. Why I didn't just do this from the onset is a mystery. I must've been inhaling fumes when I made my first non-table attempt, and then wrote the inquiry above.