SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Flash won't play in Eudora/Outlook Express!

Hi, I'm trying to have a .swf file play in an email campaign I'm doing at work. It comes through on some email clients, but not on others like Eudora or Outlook Express. How can I fix this problem? Thanks

-Chris

cwg25@aol.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Please don't cross-post.

Honestly, your best bet is to specify alternate content like an image instead of your Flash movie for clients that don't have the Flash plug-in enabled. I recommend doing this to all of your Web pages anyway, so that people without Flash can see at least some of what you're trying to send them.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if we can't get this to work, we will have a link to the flash movie itself. But we wan't the movie to play in the email we send out. It does in some email clients. But not others....can we configure something on our end so it plays on all email clients?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cwg25
    if we can't get this to work, we will have a link to the flash movie itself. But we wan't the movie to play in the email we send out. It does in some email clients. But not others....can we configure something on our end so it plays on all email clients?
    The e-mail client has to have a Flash plug-in available to it. Eudora probably doesn't have one. Outlook Express should play it since it uses IE's renderer, so I don't know why it's not working.

Off Topic:

Coincidentally, Outlook 2003 (the full version, latest one) blocks external content in HTML e-mails by default, so your Flash and any images you place in the e-mail won't show. Be mindful of this, since Outlook is one of the most used e-mail clients around.

Ensure you finish what you sta bronze trophy John Colby's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know about anyone else, but if people send me flash movies in an email they get deleted pronto. At work I have limited time and storage, at home I am not able to get broadband so downloading a movie that I throw away will get the sender shoved into the spam-ban-box as fast as anyone offering certain bodily part enlargement.
    John
    No electrons were harmed during the creation, transmission
    or reading of this posting. However, many were excited and
    some may have enjoyed the experience.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    due to default security settings, activeX components and other problems it is best to use flash in emails only in opt-in emails...
    As for getting it to work, well If your email client can show html it can probably show flash, just check all your addressing and security settings on your mail client. But be aware that all your users will have different and varied settings...