SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Photo Business Questions

I'm thinking about starting a business selling some photographs I've taken. Obviously, I want credit where credit is due, so I don't want people simply ripping off my pictures from the site. Does anybody have any recommendations for good ways to protect my intellectual property without angering visitors by over-protecting them?

Thank you all very much.

Houston, Tejas; Future Capital of the World
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    watermark them so that they are unusable unless paid for.
    Brian Poirier
    SunStockPhoto: Stock Photos, Fine Art Photos, Event Photography

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would you recommend doing a watermark over the entire image or just in a corner? Any thoughts on disabling clicking, or opening up in a new window that disables clicking? For the watermark, I know I can do something in Photoshop, but is there some way you recommend that would automate the process even more? Thank you very much.

Houston, Tejas; Future Capital of the World
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say a watermark over the whole image (or at least the center). See Istockphoto.com for an example. If you do just an edge or a corner, it can easily be cropped out. There is some dynamic way of doing watermarks on the fly using php and such, but you would have to investigate how this is done as I have no idea. I'm currently working on a photo service in my spare time, and I am merely watermarking my thumbnails with photoshop (I'm going to construct an action to do it soon).

As for disabling clicking/right-clicking, I would say don't do it. It doesn't work (there are tons of ways around it) and merely gets your surfers mad at you. It interfers with navigation and some peoples accepted ways of doing things. For instance when surfing a site I often use multiple windows, by right clicking and opening a link in a new window/tab. To go back a page, I often right click - back instead of Alt-back arrow or going to the top to hit the back bar. disabling rt clicks interfers with that.
    Brian Poirier
    SunStockPhoto: Stock Photos, Fine Art Photos, Event Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nbostic, here is a good read on the subject. There are a few links in this site to help you through the process.

http://photography.about.com/library.../aa070901a.htm
    Former Design Your Site Team Leader