SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Drupaler bronze trophy greg.harvey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Dreamweaver MX CSS bug regarding "float"?

Hi all,

Something odd happened. Working away in DW. Everything's fine. Validate page at W3.org, go back in to DW happy that I've got a nice tick, DW tells me that the page has changed and asks if I want to reload it. I do and the layout all goes to hell, but only in DW. Still fine in a browser...! It's damned near impossible to work on anything now, cos all the divs are sitting on top of each other!

It was fine until I said "yes, reload the page" (that I hadn't changed anyway!) I'm now regretting that hasty mouse click!

Anyone come across this before/know how to get DW to behave itself again?! Any help will gain you excellent karma! (Apparently.)

G

Edit:

Offending layer's CSS... might be useful!:
    Code:
    div.Content {
    	z-index: auto;
    	height: 300px;
    	width: 450px;
    	top: 220px;
    	left: 230px;
    	font-size: 75%;
    	font-style: normal;
    	color: #000000;
    	overflow: auto;
    	float: left;
    	font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    	line-height: 130%;
    }

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Hi,

DW isn't Wysiwyg for css so I should take no notice of the display in design view. (Unless you upgrade to DW MX 2004 which does a much better job of displaying CSS and allows you to work in design mode once again.)

If you are using css for layout then DW can't cope and if it displays correctly it's probably just by chance. I often notice the display changing just when resizing the design window so I'm afraid there's not much you can do about it.

I think it renders the css in the order you design it but once the page is updated or saved and reloaded then the display is all over the place.

I design in code view most of the time now when using css layouts.

Sorry if it's not the answer you hoped for.

Paul

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Greg, it's time to call IT and have them install 2004 for you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    Off Topic:

Greg, it's time to call IT and have them install 2004 for you!
    Oh yeh! I'm not going to hold my breath on that one...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This morning IT came round and installed 2004!!

Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    The CSS support is much much better but I find the whole program a little sluggish. I'm only using one of these 30 day free trials but I assume it's the same as you can activate it with a serial number etc.

Hope you didn't want to use the timelines as they've been taken out!

Still all in all it's much better (just a little slow), might just be my system.

Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm having no speed issues. One thing that does bug me though is that I always left it in "floating" DW4 mode before, and they've decided to ditch that whole look and feel. I used to Alt+Tab between open pages. Now I can't. Which is really annoying me to be honest!!!

Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I'm having no speed issues.
    Hmmm, mine's very slow. When I click refresh after changing code in codeview it takes 3 or 4 seconds to update. Also entering a tag in codeview it takes a bout a second for DW to insert the closing tag. It used to be instant.

I'll have to look up and see if it's my setup xphome and a 1200mhz computer. I do remember reading about speed issues somewhere but I can' remember where.

I used to Alt+Tab between open pages. Now I can't. Which is really annoying me to be honest!!!
    I suppose it will take some time to get used to it but it's probably worth it just for the CSS support.

(BTW my tutorials don't work either! Perhaps I should buy a proper copy as I used the copy from a magazine disc.)

Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul O'B
    (BTW my tutorials don't work either! Perhaps I should buy a proper copy as I used the copy from a magazine disc.)
    Sounds like it! I have no speed issues and everything works. Similar spec machine by the sounds of it.

The only problem I had is that 2004 (upgrade version) left old MX in place and didn't register itself properly so all the old versions still opened if you double-clicked a file. I've had to uninstall all old s/w and re-register the new apps on the system by hand!

Still, that issue is probably unique to the upgrade rather than the full version. My colleague next to me has full version and no probs at all. (He didn't have a legitimate copy before... )

Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info Greg, when my trial runs out I'll order the proper disc.

I had no problems with installation it just put 2004 in another directory and I can use any version ok.

I also have DW4 installed because if you work on a site that uses dw4 templates and import them into mx then it changes them so that they won't work on dw4 anymore, which might upset the site owner.

Also MX has the timelines feature (not that I use it much) but I hate to give up features. (I expect someone will make an extension up anyway.)

Paul

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by greg.harvey
    I'm having no speed issues. One thing that does bug me though is that I always left it in "floating" DW4 mode before, and they've decided to ditch that whole look and feel. I used to Alt+Tab between open pages. Now I can't. Which is really annoying me to be honest!!!
    another good reason why i'm not upgrading at the moment. i always hated the integrated, all-in-one view (just like i hated in when i was dabbling with flash)...
    re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redux
    another good reason why i'm not upgrading at the moment. i always hated the integrated, all-in-one view (just like i hated in when i was dabbling with flash)...
    Well, to be fair, there are many very very good things about 2004. It's just a case of me having to adapt to a new way of flicking between files. I'll be fine in a few weeks time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul O'B
    Hmmm, mine's very slow. When I click refresh after changing code in codeview it takes 3 or 4 seconds to update. Also entering a tag in codeview it takes a bout a second for DW to insert the closing tag. It used to be instant.
    I'm getting this now, but only on sites that have a development server defined for them. It seems to slow right down if you tell it there's a remote copy. Like it checks against the remote version every time you do anything...

Ho hum.

Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    on sites that have a development server defined for them
    Yes that could be it as I have Apache, php etc running on my computer and a site defined in DW for testing. It might be worth investigating further to see if there's a solution somewhere.

Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok. Go to Site --> Manage Sites. Select your site and go to Testing Server. Uncheck the "Refresh remote file list automatically" box et voila! No more performance problems (for me at least).

Let me know if it works.

Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Thanks Greg,

I tried that but it didn't seem to make any noticable to difference to my system. I think I may need to get a proper version as the tutorials don't work on my trial version either.

I'll remember your tip for when I purchase the real thing.

Thanks

Paul