User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CSS Visual design tool

Hello,

Is there such a thing as a visual design tool for making tableless css designs?

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes! You have two options: TopStyle from Bradsoft, or Dreamweaver MX 2004 from Macromedia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vinnie, have you had a chance to play with CSS in DMX 2004? As you know, it's left a lot to be desired compared with TopStyle, and I'm wondering how well Macromedia has improved their CSS interface.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have used 2004, and it's a HUGE improvement over MX 2002. The visual design stuff has been really beefed up. TopStyle can still hold its own mind you, but DWMX is very close. The only thing it doesn't render correctly thus far is some CSS2 stuff, but I think that's because the Windows version uses IE's renderer in some capacity in design view. I'm used to that though .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to know.

I've downloaded a trial version of the new Dreamweaver, but I haven't been able to try it out yet.

To get back to Philbert's question, you should try out these two. Each offers a free trial download. The last time I downloaded TopStylePro, it offered 25 uses, whereas other programs limit you by number of days.

Of course you know that tables vs. CSS is a hot issue right now? And there are a bunch of posts here about the respective pros and cons.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

I have DreamWeaver 2004 MX but can't see a way to do what I need. I was hoping that there was a way that I can just draw on a grid what I need and have the software figure out the CSS for me.

Would TopStyle Pro do this for me?

This program, called Layout Master, looks like it might work as well. Any thoughts on this package?

http://www.westciv.com/layout_master/index.html

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Philbert
    I have DreamWeaver 2004 MX but can't see a way to do what I need. I was hoping that there was a way that I can just draw on a grid what I need and have the software figure out the CSS for me.

Would TopStyle Pro do this for me?
    TopStyle won't do that, as far as I know. TopStyle is really just an editor for the style, not really a drag-n-drop kind of program.

From what I've seen, using CSS for layout requires a pretty advanced knowledge of CSS and web design in general. Are you sure you wouldn't be better off with tables for now? At least until it somehow gets easier to use CSS for layout?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    IMO nobody should "wait for an upgrade" to learn CSS. It's not that difficult to learn really, and you'll be happy with your leaner pages once you're familiar with it.