User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Netscape Browser Problems - PHP/JavaScript

At www.israelunitycoalition.com we have a JavaScript driven menu sidebar. It works beautifully in Interner Explorer, however, it is choppy in Netscape....but it works, so I'm not complaining.

The main problem is on the news articles page (Israel in the News => Daily) Sometimes - NOT ALWAYS - Netscape will cut off the bottom of the articles list or the articles themselves. It's weird it just ends. The articles page is written in PHP. Any browser troubleshooting help would be appreciated.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Which version of Netscape? 4 or 6/7?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's Netscape 7.1 and Mozilla 1.2.1 (very similar)

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy blufive's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Netscape 7.1 corresponds to Mozilla 1.4, IIRC.

Anyhow:

I see LOTS of comments <!--------- like this --------->. These are bad news. I explained why a few months back in this thread: http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...threadid=89284

That's the most likely cause, IMO.

SitePoint Enthusiast kidwizdumb's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by blufive
    I see LOTS of comments <!--------- like this --------->. These are bad news. I explained why a few months back in this thread:
    Blufive, you're gifted man That was an excellent description of comment markers.

You know, my natural inclination has been to not add extra hyphens to comments, as it looks less precise or clean, but now I have a better reason, thanks

One other thing that's been bothering me lately (maybe you'll know) is do we really need those comment markers after and before the <script> and </script> tags respectively? My inclinatation here is to ditch them, as what damn browser is still choking on javascript at this point, and then doesn't that create other problems, such as if the comments are not followed by a carriage return?

Also, when writing external CSS or JS text files -- would you bother with adding the comment markers there too?

-Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I try

You should NOT put HTML comments into external CSS/Javascript files - they WILL mess some browsers up.

Re: script tags: [disclaimer: I'm making some educated guesses here]
    AFAIK, all the majority browsers should handle scripts just fine without the HTML comments nowadays. I suspect that the version 4 browsers should be OK, too, and maybe even some of the more JS-capable version 3 ones. So it's probably fairly safe.

SitePoint Enthusiast kidwizdumb's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by blufive
    You should NOT put HTML comments into external CSS/Javascript files - they WILL mess some browsers up
    Okay, well it's good to have a positive on that one, thanks

AFAIK, all the majority browsers should handle scripts just fine without the HTML comments nowadays.
    Glad to know that we have an option. What about wireless devices? Do the majority of those handle javascript also?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only correct format to make comments in CSS files is using /* Comment */ anyways, I dont think it was designed to support anything else. (// arent supported either)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tss68nl: Yes, that's WHY it messes lots of browsers up

What about wireless devices? Do the majority of those handle javascript also?
    Those using Opera as their browser probably do. I've no idea about the others. However, even if JS isn't "supported", it's still possible that they'll do what the HTML spec says and not display the source.