SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest House/Hotel Online Booking?

Hi,

I am thinking about setting up an e-commerce Web Site for my friend, who owns a guest house. He would like customers to be able to book online instead of contacting them directly.

Please could you give me some advide about how I would do this? Has anyone got any prevous experience of designing a web site for a hotel/guest house?

What technologies would be suitable? Obvisiously a SQL Server database would be required but what about a merchant account for processing credit card details?

Your advice would be much appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as a merchant account - do your clients accept credit cards now at their business? If so, have them contact that processor to see about setting up an internet account. That processor would provide you with all the code / data that you need to connect & verify the CC.

As far as the MSSQL database, if you only have a few rooms, maybe create a table for each room & then show that that room is booked on certain days? Myself - I have not done this but one of my other programmers has completed a project in .NET before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your client already uses a computer to track and enter reservations you probably should have some kind of link or periodic refresh between the website and the local PC. Or have the client switch to using the website completely themselves.
    Ocean View Host - Affordable web hosting plans for any business.
    Modern Technology, Old Fashioned Value & Service!
    U.S. Merchant Services - Reliable merchant account services for all business!
    Quality People Providing A Quality Service!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    www.hotscripts.com has several php/mysql solutions for hotels, although I am almost sure they are commercial.

http://www.hotscripts.com/cgi-bin/se...otel&catid=all

Actually, not that bad... several are free.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    any more, those arent really that helpful. Really needs to be in ASP.

http://www.rcahotels.com/CheckAvaila...ID=1&chainid=1

http://www.activehotels.com

Actve Hotel is really good but is out of my budget. Looking to develop something for a lot cheaper.

Any ideas?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd suggest not developing an online booking capability. I think the guest house owner (as well as the customers) would be better served with a web site that showed rates and dates of availability but took the reservation via email or preferably via phone. I'm guessing that this guest house is rather small so there is no need to automate reservations. Further, customers staying in a guest house may expect more personal attention. Finally, you will avoid that one time when the reservation system doesn't work for some reason and you have two parties show up at the same time.

It just really isn't worth it in my opinion for this particular situation.