SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello again folks,
    I have recently got PhotoShop 6.0 and Im trying to learn the basics of how to use it.
    I have been working on a menu for my website today, and ran into a problem. I have designed the main part of the menu and after adding some text I went back to do some minor changes, but now I cannot use the "Fill" function when I make a selection, it just doesn't do the filling, does anyone know what I might have done...?

Oh, and a more general question, when you guys make things like a menu, do you make the menu completely done the way you want it to appear and then use an image map program for the different links etc or?

Thanks a lot!!

Ken

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

So are you trying to fill some text?
    If so the easiest way would be to select your text tool right click on your text (make sure the layer is selected) and select "edit type"

Then just highlight the text and select the color you want.

This works in PS5.5 so it should work in 6
    .NET Code Monkey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And as for your other question.

I usualy create the menu as I want it and use imageready to slice the image and create the image map....THIS SAVES A TON OF TIME
    .NET Code Monkey

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have the correct layer selected? When you build projects in Photoshop 6, it uses layers (i.e. text is one layer, image 1 is another layer, etc.). So if text is the last thing you did, then it is currently the selected default layer. Here's what to do:

Step 1: Start Photoshop 6.0 and reopen your project.

Step 2: Select Window from the top layer then "Show Layers". This will bring up the layers menu. The separate layers contain names like Layer 1, Layer 2, Background, etc. and each shows little images of what the layer consists of.

Step 3: Select the layer - in the layer menu - that has the portion you want to change (for example, if it is the background you want to fill then select the layer named Background).

Step4: Now select your fill tool and try it on your image. It should work this time.

I hope this helps - good luck!
    Joe Tracy, Editor
    Webmaster Techniques Magazine (free publication for Webmasters)

author, Web Marketing Applied

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot for the replies guys!!

Well, I'll try to explain a little better what Im doing.

I've made the menu (or the buttons) and wanted to make a graphic on top of the buttons (take a look at This Screen shot). You can see the layer called Curve which is the new layer I made for the graphic, and I placed an oval on it as you can see, and wanted to Fill that oval with a color. That is the part that does not work anymore. I do get the box up where you choose what to fill with (background/foreground color, pattern etc), but when I hit okay, it just doesn't do anything?
    Someone told me that this would happen sometimes if you had previously added text. He said to right-click and click Render Layer but I have no such choice. Im thinking he may have had an earlier version of PS.

I hope this explains a little better what my problem is.

Thanks again for the inputs,

Ken

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the clarification. Try this.

Step 1: Make sure the layer is selected.

Step 2: Change the Foreground color to the color you want filled.

Step 3: From the edit menu, select Fill.

Step 4: The Fill Window will open. From the Use pulldown menu, select Foreground color.

Step 5: Click OK.

If for some reason this doesn't work then create a new project and do it, then copy and paste the layer.

Hopefully this one works!

Sincerely,

Joe Tracy, Editor
    Webmaster Techniques Magazine (free publication for Webmasters)

author, Web Marketing Applied

-