SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

running text around an image

I have been successsfully creating two column pages that include images which can be located to the left or right of the right-hand column with text running around them using the following CSS styles:

/* THIS STYLE IS FOR THE LEFT-HAND PANEL */
    div#left {border: 2px solid black; background: white; float: left; width: 180px; margin-top: 10px; margin-left: 5px; margin-right: 10px; padding: 10px; left: 80px; right: 80px; top: 40px;}
    div#title {background: #663A00; color: white; font-size: 100%; text-align: left; padding: 5px; font-weight: bold;}
    div#left h3 {background: rgb(75%,66%,66%); font-size: 110%; color: #52002d; text-align: center;}
    /* THESE STYLES ARE FOR THE MAIN RIGHT-HAND CONTENT PANELS */
    /* These styles govern the main topic panel */
    div#topic {border: 2px solid black; background: #e7f7e6; float: left; width: 490px; margin-top: 10px; padding: 25px; left: 80px; right: 80px; top: 40px; text-align: justify;}
    div#topic h3 {background: rgb(75%,66%,66%); font-size: 110%; color: #52002d; text-align: center;}
    div#topic hr {color: #006600;}
    div#topic .product {color: #990000;}
    div#topic img.left {float: left; clear: left; margin: 0 10px 0 0; padding: 0; border: 0 0 0 0;}
    div#topic img.right {float: right; clear: right; margin: 10px 0 0 10px; padding: 0; border: 0 0 0 0;}
    div#search {position: absolute; top: 660px; left: 32px; width: 150px; height: 200px; 9px Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; z-index: 100;}

I have now attempted to create a basic 3-column page with a header using exactly the CSS style recommended in Dan Shafer's 'Designing Without Tables'. It works fine until I add an image into the 'Content' style column which is relatively positioned, the left and right columns being absolutely positioned. When I add such an image the adjacent text lines up with the bottom of the image and if I try to have the text run around the image as suggested in Dan's excellent book by using the 'float: left' property, the image disappears beneath the content box.

I've tried everything I can think of, including modifying the z-index properties of the image but nothing helps. Can anyone offer a solution please?

SitePoint Enthusiast Gamblingharry's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might need to put clear:none; in your main content middle column?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried that but unfortunately still doesn't work.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More investigation reveals that this problem is related to the use of a background color in a div in IE6. Without the background color the code works fine. Hope this information might be of help to others.

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Hi,

When you say disapperears beneath he content box do you mean you can't see the image at all? If so have you tried adding position:relative to the floated image as IE likes children of positioned elements to have position relative set.

Paul

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul

You are indeed a guru sir. Your suggestion fixed the problem that had otherwise seemed insuperable. Very many thanks for the insight.

Regards

John Vale