SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Someone snatched a domain, now they forward to the original site

I have a client who refused to make me the contact for their Domain registration. Alas, they abandoned the email connected to the reg and the name expired.

Someone else registered it, but they now have my client's site in a single frame. I assume this is to see how much traffic the site gets, so they can try to sell the name back to my client.

I have lots of experience building sites, but almost none with domain issues such as this. Is this legal? Is this ethical? Is this common?

Thanks.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this is refered to as domain squatting, and there are no laws against it. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rags525
    I have a client who refused to make me the contact for their Domain registration. Alas, they abandoned the email connected to the reg and the name expired.

Someone else registered it, but they now have my client's site in a single frame. I assume this is to see how much traffic the site gets, so they can try to sell the name back to my client.

I have lots of experience building sites, but almost none with domain issues such as this. Is this legal? Is this ethical? Is this common?

Thanks.
    So they are using an iframe to show your client's site?

Doesn't sound like anything can be done--the domain expired, and it's legal to show another site in frames.

But there are some scripts that will "burst" you out of frames. Don't know how well they work, but I've seen them before at sites such as dynamicdrive.com and others. Might want to try that.