SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has actualy used PS6 yet, I'm not after url's to reviews, just a basic black and white answer from people that have used PS6
    .NET Code Monkey

We are vigilant icehousedesigns's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been a long time Adobe customer since the early days of Photoshop. I'm currently using 5.5, and I have 6 but haven't installed it yet. From what I've read its WELL worth it. I'll be sure to post the differences as soon as I have time to check it out.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Answer is... YES!
    well worth it I would say.
    Sincerely,
    Bogdan Arsenie
    http://www.electrorev.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's nothing that great but It is a good upgrade. Must things you can live without but there great features to have. If you have the money then go for it.
    Garlic bread, I've tasted it, it's the future

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't installed it myself but I ahve seen it working. Surely the best new feature it the support for vector graphics?

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have it, and its a fantastic program, as would be expected! Only problem is, I can't find the Lens Flare tool..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sparkie I just fired up PS 6 and had a look around for you. If you go to filter then render the lens flare tool is there. Is that what you are looking for?
    Garlic bread, I've tasted it, it's the future

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok thanks guys and girls, well I guess I might take the plunge and spend some big bucks on it. ($1295 aud from memory)

.NET Code Monkey

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just download the eval. version first see if you like it. Or, if you're in an "academic environment" like yours truly, ask a multimedia or graphics design teacher if they'll let you borrow it for a while ... you know that they all got it before it officially came out, so why not?

... what's the world coming to?

insert witty comment here
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just me 2c worth. After some initial worries over differences in the way it handles effects like color burn etc I'm pretty much won over. Its well worth the upgrade price. One negative thing, I really dont like the new ImageReady 3.0 - it seems to add lot of work to slicing up an image with mouse overs etc. 2.0 used to do it so well.

Myros
    NeuralStudios.com
    Art, design, development and web management services.

We are vigilant icehousedesigns's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I just use Photoshop itself to slice up images instead of using image ready. If I'm not mistaken doesn't image ready slice up the image and do the HTML also? I just use the grid and a few other simple tricks in regular Photoshop, granted you'll have to pump out the HTML yourself, but after you get used to it its not that bad.

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went under "Render" but didn't see it on the list, but when I started it up again, there it was.. Weird...

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope I'm not too late. Anyway, I'd definitely agree - Adobe Photoshop 6 is great! I upgraded from 5 to 6, and there were a lot of great changes. For example, the text tool is now better, support for vectar graphics, easier interface, and the list goes on. I'd definitely recommend it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Photoshop, but don't use it yet (regularly) - it's more of a resource incase I need it. One thing I can say is if you want the cream of the crop in graphics, it's worth it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the new Photoshop, although it's taking me a while to get adjusted to the new "style."

Although someone above mentioned that they like the new text function, I liked it the old way better... the top nav bar is too confusing for my simple mind!

But the vector-based graphics thing is really cool.

Oh yeah, some of the tools have been moved around... took me a while to get used to.

But i would say, "yes, it rocks!"

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone should mention the highly increased layer effect controls. Together with the vector graphics and the new text tool, it really makes Photoshop rock. I used to use Fireworks for making almost all my web graphics. But after the release of 6 I find myself using Photoshop more and more also for creating my graphics. (For picture editing Photoshop have been the king the whole time)

mouse monkey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I have never really used Photoshop seriosly because of the high price tag but I have tried out the evaluations of a couple off a couple of version and it is an amazing piece of software. One thing it used to be lacking was its vector suport but it now has that in version 6. If you have the money I would say go for it.

A cheaper alternative is The GIMP which was originally a Linux graphics program but it has been ported to work on Win32 machines. It is a bit unstable running on windws but I don't have many problems with it. It is very prowerfull but not as powerfull as Photoshop. Its worth a try anyway: http://www.gimp.org

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually think Adobe lowered the price of Photoshop 6 to $609, which is a few hundred less than previous versions. So there's really no better time to get your hands and this great peice of software, which, as you can tell, many many people recommend.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I'm the only one here who doesn't like Photoshop 6. All of the text is about four pixels tall and I completely _hate_ the use of the toolbar for everything.

For example, now, to type in it, you need to hit 't' then select the place to type (and then type). But think you want a different typeface? You have to select it all and the selection inverts everything! Try changing colors! If you set it to blue you'll see orange.

I've been using Photoshop since version 3 and this is the worst upgrade I've seen yet.

p.s. Even $609 is a lot for software, good or bad. Also most people just get it off their friend's FTP server.

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL @ Quinn. Sounds like you have a screwed up version there Quinn. I don't have any of those problems with mine. I guess your friends FTP server corrupted a file

You should make [3] for your signiture say: Why am I the _only_ one who hates Photoshop.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Justin S
    I guess your friends FTP server corrupted a file
    Surprisingly, I didn't get it off a friend's FTP server. I usually would've but a friend had some open licenses on a multi-license pack.

Also, I forgot to say that PS6 opens in twice the time (30secs on my 500MHz P3), but luckily it takes up half the RAM. My suggestion is still to not buy it until 6.5 comes out. But that's just me.

edit: just noticed there is a PS6 tips article on Builder.com: http://home.cnet.com/webbuilding/0-3...83-8-4279263-1
    <Edited by qslack on 01-04-2001 at 01:03 PM>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has ImageReady 3.0 reduced the bloat at all?

I'm still running 5.5/2.0 and ImageReady takes much longer to first load and to open/close documents. I don't have as much RAM at home (256) as I do on work machines and sometimes I find it hard to have both open (as well as 4 browsers, text editor, etc) and have the same 50-layered document open in both. I think I just need to upgrade to NT/2000 though and stop leaving layers around.. I'm not sure why I've waited on the Photoshop upgrade.

Icehouse wrote:

I just use the grid and a few other simple tricks in regular Photoshop, granted you'll have to pump out the HTML yourself, but after you get used to it its not that bad.

I used to do it manually, but once IR came out with the slices, it made RE-doing a cut so much easier. Doing it once manually isn't that bad, doing it the third time when they want to change the ad size or the logo size or something else by 5 pixels IS a PITA.
    Overgrow the Government: The Edge Forums
    presented by Overgrow Marijuana Magazine

*warning: adult content