Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome!

as is sitepoint.com and igodirect.com.au

They make most of us look like amateurs, no offence to all the narky knockers who take it to heart.

cheers people!

HorseDude
    *who only bagged sitepointdesign.com.au*

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey

I will work for lower than average pay in Australia!

Nah seriuosly now guys is the standard of living cheaper in Australia than say Canada or the US? I believe that the UK is one of the most expensive countries in Europe! We seem to pay exhorbitant amounts of tax on everything!

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The standard of living may be cheaper in Australia, but from what I understand, 1 US dollar is worth 2 (roughly) Australian dollars. Compared to 1 US dollar equal to .70 (roughly) Canadian Dollars.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wayne's correct, though the Aussie dollar's finally making a come back. (it's currently around AUS$1 = 56 US cents)

That said, about $35-40K will set you up reasonably well.... Add about $10-20K if you have a spouse or family to take care of
    My 2 Cents (or is that 2.2 Cents including GST?)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <start of rant>

petrol $0.92per litre right upto $1.05 if your more than 200km from a city like Melbourne or Sydney. Its pretty cheap compared to the rest of the world (except USA maybe)

House you can expect to pay $130k for a decent house in a large regional town/city. Wanna live in syd/melb $200k will only get you a dump try 350k b4 u start looking.

cars us aussies only drive flacodoors (AKA commonwhors and ford falcons hehe) bout 30k-50k will get ya a new one. We also seem to be big on Korean cars like kia's or anything made by Hyundai or Dawoo etc... these can be had for 15k+.... As a rule anything worth driving will cop a 25% luxury tax or cost ya 4 or 5k to have insurance every year and put it out of the price bracket most can afford.
    So uless you want something with poor build quality (holden/ford/and korean car) you aint gonna like driving over here. We have the most fake and protected car industry of anywhere in the world it’s a joke.

food could easily cost ya way over $200 to feed your family every week.

Internet want an ISDN connection? 64k ISDN will cost ya 200+ per month in a regional area. (not counting bandwidth charges 20c per meg)
    Cable can be had in most cities for around $40 a month for light users, upto $80 or so for heavy users (business and all the warez leaches etc..)
    Dial-up – bout $30 a month will get you an unlimited account (funny how unlimited still means a 300meg download limit!)

Jobs know some stuff about IT? There are about 30,000+ available jobs in OZ, shouldn’t be to hard to find a great job. Most Internet ralated jobs start at about 30k per year and go up to ten times that if your good at what you do.
    Don’t wonna work? doesn’t matter cause about 1.2 million people are career dole bludgers, you'll be rite!!

other stuff you get taxed on everything, some times your taxed 2,3 even 4 times on the same thing our government sux.
    Phone/gas/power/banks – all pretty much have a monopoly so they can treat ya as bad as they want. Banks are probably the worst.

Like most countries there is good and bad points, although i think we have more good points than most. At the end of the day I wouldn’t live anywhere else.

</end of rant>

cheers!

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once had the chance to go to Australia when I was on the team developing software for St. George Bank in Sydney. All expenses paid trip for 6 months (with my family). Unfortunately we got pregnant (whoever says only the woman goes through it has never been there) and I was moved to another team...
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Grandmaster
    I'll have to agree with Russel G, I would wear a baggy pair of Urban Type jeans with a sitepoint logo on them.. I would buy them for (highquality I hope) 50 bucks : ).
    ...erm I wouldn't but a nice little tank top will do me!