SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can anyone tell me how to execute myisamchk in DOS on WIN98.

Also. I've been performing some crash scenerios on MySQL and have determined that updates, inserts and deletes to tables are lost if the server crashes while MySQL is running. In fact, an update will cause the whole row to be deleted when the table is recovered. Is there a way to commit changes (inserts, updates, deletes) to the table while MySQL is running to insure data integrety in the event of a system crash.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brian,

Pretty much everything you've asked is covered in Part 8 (MySQL Administration) of my article on PHP and MySQL. Running myisamchk under DOS/Win98 should be just like doing it under Linux (let me know if you have any problems wit the instructions in my article).

As for guarding against lost changes in a crash, the best way is to have MySQL keep an update log so that you can restore the current state by running all of the queries that occurred since your last database backup. Again, this is explained in detail in my article.
    Kevin Yank
    CTO, sitepoint.com
    I wrote: Simply JavaScript | BYO PHP/MySQL | Tech Times | Editize
    Baby’s got back—a hard back, that is: The Ultimate CSS Reference

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kevin: Your article is printed right beside me. I've read it and now that you mentioned it, I remember reading about it. I think I need to read it again, but not taday, It's christmas. I'll get back to you if I have problems or questions.

By the way, check out Karl's answer to my mime mail problems. He hit the nail on the head. It was just the way I was trying to use the variable in the text string.

Thanks for your support over the past few days.

Merry Christmas!