User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by qslack
    Did they actually install their software on your computer? Or did they just install the drivers for the ethernet card? If you have their software installed you should remove it immediately because it's probably just ad-ware and might even track where you go. If I remember correctly, @Home used to track this and finally someone publicized it and they stopped. Don't know about RR.
    I didn't want them installing any of their software, and luckily they didn't.

On my Windows 2000/WinME machine, each OS recognized the card without any drivers needed from the install floppy. Nothing needed to be installed.

My Windows 98 machine was less fortunate. I had to install the drivers off a floppy.

After the cards were in, all that was needed was a simple change of IE's preferences (which was basically changing from a dial-up connection to a LAN connection).

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am surprised that companies are complaining about hooking more than one computer up to a connection. Here is California that is one of the biggest selling points used.

"Connect your whole family to the Internet on one connection", is the slogan Pacific Bell is using right now.

PacBell will even include Intel's Anypoint Home Networking equipment (at a reasonable fee) if you need it.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by W. Luke
    I am surprised that companies are complaining about hooking more than one computer up to a connection. Here is California that is one of the biggest selling points used.

"Connect your whole family to the Internet on one connection", is the slogan Pacific Bell is using right now.

PacBell will even include Intel's Anypoint Home Networking equipment (at a reasonable fee) if you need it.
    Who is complaining? I have never heard of such a thing.

However, we were charged $79.95 for connecting the second computer, one time only. First computer is free, second is $79.95. Ripoff, I know.

Gong!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To Aidan & Others:

Perhaps the solution would be to use IP-Masquerading (which is same as NAT, network address translation, which most dial-up isp's use today). Just get another network card, put it on the first computer and let it share the net for the rest

Basically it's like having one computer, since the other computer uses all the same ip's and such for the internet connection and between those machines they use the addresses specified for the inner network.

For more reference:
    http://www.jrd.com/masquerading.html
    http://www.vicomsoft.com/knowledge/reference/nat.html#0

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A proxy server of some sort is ideal in a situation like that - connect the cable up to 1 PC then install a network and proxy on the PC with cable. That way, there is no way for the cable company to tell you are using 2 pcs. It all comes from the same IP.
    I'm using a proxy to share my pathetic 56k connection between 2 PCs

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few notes:

-When using UTP cable for the network, always use a hub/switch since cross-over just doesn't work.
    -Good proxy-software is SyGate
    -Usually 10 Mbit NIC's and hubs are fast enough for a home-LAN
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Elledan
    -Usually 10 Mbit NIC's and hubs are fast enough for a home-LAN
    That is the only thing I disagree with. With the cost of installing 100 Mbit cards only a few dollars more, go for 100 MBit. I would also recommend using a switch over a Hub. With a Hub if you have 100 Mbit and install a 10 Mbit device, like a network capable printer, the entire network slows down. With a switch it will only slow to 10 Mbit when you talk to that device.

I found a 100 Mbit Home Network Kit with Switch, 2 cards and cables for $60 by Linksys and use it at home.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------