SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After three long years, my parents are finally letting me get Cable Internet Access. I called today, and they will come over to set things up on January 4th.

I have heard from other people that most cable companies don't let you use Napster, and don't let you start a server.

1. Is this true?
    2. Should I uninstall Napster?
    3. Should I get rid of Apache?
    4. Should I delete all of my MP3 files?
    5. If I uninstall Napster, could I sneak it in at a later date?
    6. Could I install Apache at a later date (not to host a site, to learn PHP off of)

Thanks!

e=2.718281828459045235360 HyperBaseball's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been running a cable modem since it was introduced and have Napster on two computers connected and haven't experienced any problems. Plus, I have over 600 MP3s, and there's no reason why an Internet company would make you delete them-- for all they know you ripped them off your own cds.

I can't help you with Apache, but I've run Personal Web Server on my computers without problem.
    Jason Unger is me.
    "Homer no function beer well without"
    http://www.jasonunger.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'm missing something here - why do cable modem companies not allow programs such as Napster?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They want to play it safe (not to break any copyright laws), but the real reason is they are probably worried about Napster users slowing the service down for everyone.

HyperBaseball, the reason I asked about deleting my MP3s (or moving them to another hard drive) was because I wanted to know if they would get upset that I am a Napster user/MP3 downloader. I'm pretty sure I'll have Apache and Napster running a month from now, but I was wondering if I should hide it from them before they come over here to check out things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had a cable modem for just over a year and have never heard of any Napster issues, although, I'm using AT&T and it might be different for other companies.

I think they try and discourage you from turning your computer into some kind Web hosting service. AT&T limits the upload to 128 kbs and I've rarely seen it approach that number so it wouldn't be woth it anyway. However, I do have the PWS for Windows98 and Coldfusion Express installed on my computer for testing and learning purposes.
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend of mine uses the service I will be getting (RoadRunner, by Time Warner). They said that they instructed him not to use Napster (which he never had heard of at the time). He did a little research and found out what Napster was. He started using it like crazy, and nothing happened. It's been several months now, and he's still using Napster without any problems.

I'm sure I'll use Napster/Apache after RoadRunner is set up on my comp, but should I get rid of them before they come over?

Thanks again

exit();
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not like they're going to go through all your files.

If you are worried about them doing that though, just delete the icon for it and add it back later, don't delete your MP3s!

And you're not hosting sites, just testing pages it shouldn't be a big deal.

If you run into any problems, they won't refuse to install it for you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One other note. You only need to configure your network settings. They will want to install all their proprietary software (100mbs+) on your machine; it isn't necassary.
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i agree. they really have no right, and probably won't, check out what you have on your computer. when i got my cable service, i was asked to install the NIC beforhand and when the tech came over for the installation, all he did was drill the hole for the cable hook it up to the machine and set my connection setting to never dial a connection.

we tested the connection for a couple of minutes and he was on his way.

i wouldn't worry about it. there's a reason you're shelling out the cash for the "high speed" connection, and that's so you can use it.

ps- i run my personal ftp site whenever i need to w/out any problems.
    . . . chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Aidan Bahta
    They want to play it safe (not to break any copyright laws), but the real reason is they are probably worried about Napster users slowing the service down for everyone.
    You know, that really sucks. I would be really peeved if my ISP told me what and what I can't download and use. I used a RoadRunner cable modem back a few years ago when it became available in my Ohio town, and have since switched back to dialup in Jersey.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How on earth could you go back to dialup?

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good question... I've noticed by myself too that, since I got cable, I can't imagine how I've ever been using dial-up...

Switching back would be almost impossible, I'd think, so Marc, how can you survive it?
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't. But I've got it and am sick of it. Help. Anyone want to donate their fast connection to me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had no choice! My part of New Jersey is more rural than where I was in Ohio, so it didn't have anything to offer besides dial-up. Besides, when I had cable, I wasn't into computers as much as I am now, so I didn't really appreciate or use it to the full extint. Luckily, I think cable modems are now available here!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. When I signed up for Cable Modem service, they just gave me the cable modem at the cable office and told me to hook it up myself. They never even came by my house, let alone looked at my computer and what I had installed.

(And all I had to do was hook the cable modem up to the cable and plug the Ethernet wire into my network card. I didn't have to change any network settings on the computer).

And I could certainly never go back to dial-up now. I've had fast Internet since August of 1999, and I'm addicted. I'd just quit using the computer altogether rather than use dialup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got cable, they came installing everything here for free.

1. Mostly you cannot run a PERMANENT server connected to the web. Most ISP do this to prevent that the upload will be kept at a reasonable rate. Mostly you can have a server but you can't have it running 24/24.
    2. There is no way they can check if you're using Napster. They probably set this rule yet again because some people let Napster on all day and the upload speed will go lost.

Most restrictions are set to save up teh bandwidth. Cable is a shared connection and a network will want to keep a reasonable speed. I personally liek the restrictions they set here. We get 8gigs bandwidth to download and 2 gigs to upload. Which is a lot more than enough. They let us check our bandwidth online. FOr more bandwidth you have to pay a lot more. This way there is a very goo dspeed on our network.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Side note: The installers here even told me how I could (illegaly) connect two computers to the same cable modem (but i forgot how I should do it )

They only put in a network card and let an installer run. This was just some program which set the network settings as I don't even know where that program is now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another side note: I live in belgium and it is absolutely normal here that you do things 'illegal' if a company makes you to

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I got cable modem they came over and installed everything for FREE, plus gave me 1 month free service for $39.99 Canadian.

Now they have a deal you get FREE installation, 2 months FREE and $100 gift certificate, WOW!!!

Pretty good! I guess they figured out how much each customer is worth in the long run.

On a side note, I have two computers hooked up to the same cable line without a problem. You are not supposed to use it, BUT I see no reason why I should pay extra money when I can only be on one computer at once.

All it takes is a ethernet hub and a network card for the second computer, very easy to do.
    "Over 2200 Free Webmaster Resources and Tools"
    Search through our continually updated directory of free webmaster resources.
    WebmasterLane.com

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two computers hooked up to my cable internet in the same way that webmasterlane does. My cable company told me that it was perfectly okay when I signed up for the service, though. Since I live alone, the two computers are rarely on the Internet at the same time anyway, so my overall bandwidth is essentially the same whether despite having two computers on the network.

It's just that sometimes I like to be on the computer in the living room, and sometimes I like to be on in the bedroom.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes BUT you'll be on the same connection which will slow down theconnection if peopel are using internet on both computers. If you let your ISP handle it you get a second account for less money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend of mine uses the service I will be getting (RoadRunner, by Time Warner). They said that they instructed him not to use Napster (which he never had heard of at the time). He did a little research and found out what Napster was. He started using it like crazy, and nothing happened. It's been several months now, and he's still using Napster without any problems.

I'm sure I'll use Napster/Apache after RoadRunner is set up on my comp, but should I get rid of them before they come over?

Thanks again
    LOL, they tried preventing him from using it and only showed him how to do it.

No, DONT delete your mp3's or napster, they wont and aren't allowed to go through your computer files.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by jumpthru
    No, DONT delete your mp3's or napster, they wont and aren't allowed to go through your computer files.
    Well, too late

I know it's probably not necessary, but I did it anyway. Actually, I felt the need to format, since Windows Me was sickening me. I installed Windows 2000 and Windows Me on the same computer (Dual boot), and wiped out all the junk that had accumulated. I have all my MP3s on my backup hard drive, as well as the Napster (beta 8) installer, among other things. I'll take out the hard drive on the day of the installation (January fourth), and put it back in as the cable guy walks out the door

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a followup:

This morning, I was running late for work and forgot to take out the extra hard drive. When I got home, the cable guys had just arrived. Of course there was no time to take out the HD, but I wasn't worried.

The guy who installed everything really liked me. I thought it was cool, after all it isn't every day that one can talk to another about tweaking the registry and things like that. I even asked the guy about Napster, and he said it was allowed.

RoadRunner (the cable service) is now installed on my computer, and it's awesome. Even sites which I previously thought were bloated :cough:: SitePoint ::cough: load in no more than a second or two.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RoadRunner (the cable service) is now installed on my computer, and it's awesome. Even sites which I previously thought were bloated :cough:: SitePoint ::cough: load in no more than a second or two.
    Did they actually install their software on your computer? Or did they just install the drivers for the ethernet card? If you have their software installed you should remove it immediately because it's probably just ad-ware and might even track where you go. If I remember correctly, @Home used to track this and finally someone publicized it and they stopped. Don't know about RR.

P.S. You are lucky that the ::cough:: turned out to be a smiley or you might be living in SitePoint jail for a while