SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question proposal presentation... how to give to client?

This may be a dumb quesiton, but I think it warants a quick thread.

How do you guys present proposals? In a folder, what kind? Stapled, paper clipped, three-hole punched? Do you email them a copy of it? If so in what format (considering the easability (im not sure that is a word) of tracking changes) PDF?

Is this all contingent on the size of the proposal, or the client? I think small clients should and like to be treated "like big client".

What do you do?

You guys are awesome.

Jonathan

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thedotcom,
    I have sent proposal out in proposal folders that have the three hole punch with a clear front. The folders also have slots for my business cards and brochures. Everything is color coordinated.

I would like to add to this thread. When you do your proposal what all do you include? I am a big fan of HGTV and when the designers give a proposal they show a sketch of their proposed design. Should this be done with web design? How do you create it and how would you illustrate it within a written proposal? I don't usually show a design until they accept my quote. Would this get more clients if I did this? What is the norm?

Houston, Tejas; Future Capital of the World
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also places like Kinko's will bind a proposal for you fairly inexpensivly (like $2). You can get them glue bound or comb bound, and it really adds a professional touch.
    Brian Poirier
    SunStockPhoto: Stock Photos, Fine Art Photos, Event Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest, I wouldn't consider much other than leatherbound for a big client.

For a smaller client, I might not go that far, but I would definitely do more than a $0.19 manila folder. A comb-bound proposal might be a good idea for small to medium-sized clients, as Brian suggested.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't mean a manilla folder. There are folders made by SmartImage. They come in different colors. They have insertions pockets for the proposal, business card, and a brochure. The front is clear plastic so that you can show your logo and if applicable the clients logo on the front of your proposal. Definitely more than a $0.19 manila folder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I know -- I'm just saying, for the sake of example, that a small client would warrant something between the leatherbound proposal and the manila folder one.

I don't know the client, but if it's a small- to medium-sized one it sounds like you're good.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I go to kinkos and wire bound all my proposals, 3 page to 100 page, it doesn't matter. I do it for uniform looks and the response is great with my clients.

NEVER email a proposal to your client instead of meeting them (unless specifically requested or client is not in your immediate area). I have won many jobs simply because I presented the proposal by hand, or had it courriered to my client and followed up with a meeting.
    Twin Dreams, Inc.
    www.twindreams.com - Professional Website Development
    www.sharky.com - Sharky's Grilling Forums!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David C
    Oh, I know -- I'm just saying, for the sake of example, that a small client would warrant something between the leatherbound proposal and the manila folder one.

I don't know the client, but if it's a small- to medium-sized one it sounds like you're good. [img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    Yes, so far my clients have been small to medium. For larger companies the investment of the leather bound sounds great. Where do you purchase them,for future reference?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sharky
    I go to kinkos and wire bound all my proposals, 3 page to 100 page, it doesn't matter. I do it for uniform looks and the response is great with my clients.

NEVER email a proposal to your client instead of meeting them (unless specifically requested or client is not in your immediate area). I have won many jobs simply because I presented the proposal by hand, or had it courriered to my client and followed up with a meeting.
    When you get it wire bound, do you use regular paper throughout or do you add thicker cover and back sheets?

I agree, I would never email. I really don't like to fax it unless the client requests it. I have, but I don't think that the it shows the image that I want the client to see.

I have heard that some, add the proposal to there website as a pdf. That may be a good idea if you are short on time and the client is in another state. It all depends on what the client wants and how convenient it is for them.

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PDF, email, fax are really crappy ways to send a proposal. I use Print And Present folders for my proposals. They are basically rather simple paper folders that come in two pieces. So, you can print anything on the front with a standard inkjet printer, i.e. the clients logo and name, plus date, reference and other convinient stuff. The real advantage of it is of course that it looks expensive as hell, and the client sees that you care about them.

For the proposal itself, I use very think paper and use lots of whitespace and Garamond as font.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Johansson
    I use Print And Present folders for my proposals.

Where do you buy them?
    Mike
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by naramation
    Where do you buy them?
    My local bookstore.
    Mattias Johansson

FatStatement.com

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by s_spice113
    When you get it wire bound, do you use regular paper throughout or do you add thicker cover and back sheets?

I agree, I would never email. I really don't like to fax it unless the client requests it. I have, but I don't think that the it shows the image that I want the client to see.

I have heard that some, add the proposal to there website as a pdf. That may be a good idea if you are short on time and the client is in another state. It all depends on what the client wants and how convenient it is for them.
    I use the thick stock vinal backing (i think it's vinal) and a clear cover which shows my cover page showing thru
    Twin Dreams, Inc.
    www.twindreams.com - Professional Website Development
    www.sharky.com - Sharky's Grilling Forums!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use white linen paper and Avery Slidelock Report Covers in white (I think they are the ones, I looked them up on the Office Max site). They have clear pages that you can slide your pages into, and there is a clear front for a cover page. It's nice if you are doing last minute changes and need to print out just one of the pages and replace it.

I keep everything white for a clean look.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend to wrap mine up in the paper your chips come in from fish and chip shops. Usually I just saved the already grease stained papers.

If its a nice client - I may just slot a few chips in aswell.

The knight who said ni! RockyShark's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a comb binder so I bind all mine - frosted cover, heavy black card back, black comb, and full colour pages inside. I started using Arrus for the font since getting the Web Business Design Kit - really nice font. Although Garamond is nice, too. Hand delivered or posted if they're too far out of town.

Perception is everything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daniel_eastley
    I tend to wrap mine up in the paper your chips come in from fish and chip shops. Usually I just saved the already grease stained papers.

If its a nice client - I may just slot a few chips in aswell.
    A few chips as well? You generous individual, you!!

Yugo full of anvils bronze trophy hillsy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We often include a PDF softcopy of our proposal/response on a CD with the hardcopy. Handy if people want to email it around or anything.
    that's me!
    Now A Pom. And a Plone Nut
    Broccoli Martinez Airpark

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyShark
    We have a comb binder so I bind all mine - frosted cover, heavy black card back, black comb, and full colour pages inside. I started using Arrus for the font since getting the Web Business Design Kit - really nice font. Although Garamond is nice, too. Hand delivered or posted if they're too far out of town.

Perception is everything.
    You're right. Arrus is a nice font. Thanks for the heads up. I missed that in the Web Business Design Kit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Client Meeting

I always use a 3 ring binder (thin Style) with a full color cover embedded right into the front. I usually also include 2-3 unique design ideas if I am doing a new site or a redesign. I will include a CD with the presention, usually a website analysis, in pdf format.

Potential clients are impressed if you have done some homework and can layout a clear development strategy. Start with the basics and talk up additional services you can offer.
    Making A Difference... www.newdayfoundation.org
    Helping Others Through Art
    www.artofgenerosity.com

The Great Secret of the Universe www.secretofallages.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of you have said that you always present proposals in person. I give a free initial consultation, but then ususally mail or email a proposal. I think I'd close more sales if I presented the proposals in person. How do you deal with the ones who say "just email me the proposal?" Do you say you require a short follow-up meeting to present the proposal? It occurs to me this might help cut down on the simple price shoppers as well. (I'm talking low to mid-range jobs here--not enterprise-level stuff or update/maintenance work.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vick
    Some of you have said that you always present proposals in person. I give a free initial consultation, but then ususally mail or email a proposal. I think I'd close more sales if I presented the proposals in person. How do you deal with the ones who say "just email me the proposal?" Do you say you require a short follow-up meeting to present the proposal? It occurs to me this might help cut down on the simple price shoppers as well. (I'm talking low to mid-range jobs here--not enterprise-level stuff or update/maintenance work.)
    I always request a second meeting to make sure I have everything straight in my head. I.e. that my vision of the project is the same as the clients vision. It's very hard, if not impossible, to acheive this with one meeting.

After that, if a person wants the proposal emailed, email it. After you've sent the email, send a nicely bound proposal over as well, via express mail or courier, with a note saying something along the lines that "since the proposal is quite extensive, I thought that you might want a paper copy as well". That's exceeding expectations, and one of the most efficient techniques ever to retain clients.
    Mattias Johansson

FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The vast majority of my jobs are small sites for small businesses - fairly straightforward stuff, so a second meeting usually isn't necessary for me.

If a client said "just email it" I'd come back with something like "I don't mind coming over to see you, that way if you have any more questions we can address them on the spot" or something like that. If the prospect insisted on emailing I'd take that as a sign that they weren't that serious, a bit of a tyre kicker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *off topic*
    Does anyone know where in Australia you can buy something similar to the Print and Present Folders?
    coiL
    "cradled in the learning curve"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coiL
    *off topic*
    Does anyone know where in Australia you can buy something similar to the Print and Present Folders?
    At a guess I'd try Officeworks - they have tons of presentation folders, they might have something similar. www.officeworks.com.au