SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mysterious problem with images not showing up on page

I have set up several pages with coupons from merchants on one of my sites -

http://www.meowhoo.com/pages/club/coupons_1003.html

It's very straight forward - simple hand coded html displaying gifs and jpgs as images of the coupons. Nothing fancy, no pop-ups no nothing.

Strangely enough, some users are reporting that they can't see the images I'm puzzled. No idea why this is hapenning and what can be done about it.

Here's the thread on our forums where we asked users for feedback - as you can see people on various systems can see it just fine, but there are 2-3 users who simply don't see the images.
    http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...threadid=27785

Any ideas?

p.s. - I hope this is the right forum for the question. I don't won't to cross post on other forums, so, mods, if this isn't the right forum, please move this thread to where you think it belongs. Thanks.
    My Web Publishing Blog: B6S.net - I dofollow but don't spam!
    Follow me on Twitter
    My favorite content writer:
    Steve Snedeker

SitePoint Enthusiast newdaynewdawn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Man's Land

No Man's Land!!! You're on a tough one here. All I can say is it shows fine on NT4 6a behind a T1 using the Mozilla 1.5 web browser. Good to go on IE6 as well. Even good to go on NS4.76 also.

Geez, without getting exact details from EVERYONE (OS, Browser version, etc.) this is very difficult to diagnose given some see and some don't. While you could have something sitting in your code that some browsers don't like it would be hard to lock down without all of the details.

The only thing different which shouldn't be that big of a deal was just you using a full path @#$#$.com/images/imagename as opposed to just images/imagename or whatever. I like to think that wouldn't kill it though. Could be some of the cgi this or that but I'll not play like I'm knowledge heavy in that area.

Other than that you'll have to get the browser details in order to narrow things down. Assuming you've tested multiple browsers on your local system prior to putting it on the server you can at least narrow some things down there.

Good Luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Works fine here, xp, ie6

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy asp_funda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure enough, its working fine in win2000/IE6 & WinXP/IE6.
    The users might have turned off images or if you are using Linux/Apache on your server, make sure that if your images folder is called IMAGES then you are not refering to it as images in your code.
    Our lives teach us who we are.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Me - Photo Blog - Personal Blog - Dev Blog
    iG:Syntax Hiliter -- Colourize your code in WordPress!!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The same thing has happened occasionally on some of my websites. The only conclusion I reached was that the web server fails to load images when it gets too busy.