SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a large background graphic that I want tiled vertically but not horizontally. How can I accomplish that? If that is not possible, how can I keep it from being tiled at all? I am using FrontPage 2000. Also, the image is 202KB so I'm a little worried about its load time. Any ideas for streamling it? I've already used MS PhotoDraw which optimizes it for the web. Will it be loaded last so a visitor with a slow connection will be able to use the page without waiting for the background to load? Lastly, will visitors need to redownload the graphic each time they go to a new page or will it pop right up because they already downloaded it on the first page? Like I said I'm using FrontPage 2000, but I could put something in the HTML code if that's the only way to get the background positioned like I want it. Thanks a lot!

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just going to say that it is poor design technique to use a graphic as a background. It works if it is a texture or something like that, so that it doesn't look tiled. But I'm assuming your image is a photo or otherwise non repeating graphic simply because its so large.

As for them redownloading it for each page. Don't worry, after 1 time it should be stored in the browser cache.

Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you're right. I could shrink it and use it as a logo instead....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you opt to go with one background and don't want it to tile and are using FP2000 then: File | Properties... click on the background tab, check background picture, check watermark, browse to insert your image.
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be aware though that having a background image that doesn;t tile is only supported by the latest browser will automatically see your image tiling!