User Tag List

Thread: street address

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

street address

May I ask if anyone knows whether mail order business can use the warehouse (or storage unit) address as the business street address (physical location of the business)? And if so, what's the size requirement of the storage unit? Thanks.
    Honda CBR 600 ROCKS!

SitePoint Enthusiast EightManagement's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what purpose (i.e. tax filing, mailing address, shipping address, etc.

If you're just asking for general mail reception, then I would say it's up the post office. I'd just make whatever address you use uniform for all applications.
    Joshua
    Owner/Accountant
    Eight Management
    Bookkeeping and Taxation Management

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Joshua, thanks for your reply. I am asking for when people fill the forms. Like for example, what's the legal definition of "street address" and "physical location"? The warehouse/shipping center/storage unit is a physical location but can it be used as a street address?

I am not concerning about the mailing issue because the business can always have a separate mailing address. In many legal forms or business forms, the street address cannot be a PO box address but it does not specify if the shipping location can be used as the street address because the shipping location or storage unit is not a PO box.

Quote Originally Posted by EightManagement
    For what purpose (i.e. tax filing, mailing address, shipping address, etc.

If you're just asking for general mail reception, then I would say it's up the post office. I'd just make whatever address you use uniform for all applications.
    Honda CBR 600 ROCKS!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CBR600
    Hi Joshua, thanks for your reply. I am asking for when people fill the forms. Like for example, what's the legal definition of "street address" and "physical location"? The warehouse/shipping center/storage unit is a physical location but can it be used as a street address?

I am not concerning about the mailing issue because the business can always have a separate mailing address. In many legal forms or business forms, the street address cannot be a PO box address but it does not specify if the shipping location can be used as the street address because the shipping location or storage unit is not a PO box.
    If I was the owner of a storage facility, I wouldn't be too pleased to find out that someone was using my address as their address. You should use the real address for the business.

I'm curious why can't you use your own real address? Why do you want to hide behind someone else's legal address?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the warehouse or shipping location has its own address then it's not someone else's legal address. My question is not limited to a storage facility. For example, some places offer big warehouses so that businesses can use them as shipping centers. It's not uncommon for a medium sized business to have different shipping centers in different areas. It's not uncommon for businesses to set up one shipping center in europe and one in asia, as long as they don't do anything against the laws.

I posted this question here because I want to find out what's considered legal. And I will never do anything illegal. Every country has different laws and some cities have different by-laws. My question is not limited to any one particular country. Some areas in Asia allow people to use warehouse address as business address. People can run different businesses in different countries as long as they follow all the rules and regulations, and register their businesses with the governments.
    Last edited by CBR600; Nov 1, 2003 at 06:49.
    Honda CBR 600 ROCKS!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I understand what you're trying to say/do. We have a warehouse that we use for shipping/receiving that we lease from another co. The address is used for "shipping/receiving" only because the actual business is registered at another address and is actually in another town.

Not too sure about the legalities of using the warehouse address if it's not known as the actual business?? But if the business is a true business ie: LLC, DBA, Co. etc, wouldn't the address be registered with the area it resides?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply. Maybe I should rephrase the question. This is not regarding to what address people should use when they register the business. This is actually regarding to whether the warehouse address can be considered a physical location when we write business letters or documents etc. When people conduct business with another company, can they use the shipping/receiving location as the physical location?
    Honda CBR 600 ROCKS!

SitePoint Enthusiast EightManagement's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The answer is your "corporate address" is wherever the majority of your administrative staff (CEO, Operations, Accounting, etc.) reside. If it happens to be your warehouse, then so be it. If you have a separate office, then that's what you'd use for tax returns, corporate filings, credit apps and so on. If you're having shipments delivered or bills mailed, you can certainly use whatever address is more convenient for you.

Hope that helped.
    Joshua
    Owner/Accountant
    Eight Management
    Bookkeeping and Taxation Management

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Joshua!
    Honda CBR 600 ROCKS!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed. You can probably use the warehouse address to receive inventory but you need the hedquaters address for all other mail and correspondence.
    Ocean View Host - Affordable web hosting plans for any business.
    Modern Technology, Old Fashioned Value & Service!
    U.S. Merchant Services - Reliable merchant account services for all business!
    Quality People Providing A Quality Service!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks jaiem!
    Honda CBR 600 ROCKS!