Thread: Supply issues

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Supply issues

Hi,

I was wondering, if I were to sell DVDs how I would go about getting the supply of DVDs.

Is it possible to send a company the name and address of people who ordered, and have them ship out the goods?

The reason Iím asking is I'm interested in selling DVDs online, and get a little e-business going, but at the same time, Iím still in school, and I don't really want to buy a whole lot of supplies and have them sitting in my room. (Parents won't be happy) not like I can afford them anyways.

If someone could point me in the right direction, that will help me a lot.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    redghost

You have two options (at least):

1) Get a relationship with a drop shipper. A drop shipper is basically a warehouse that handles picking and packing for different products. I would expect that there are a few different companies that would be happy to do that for you.

2) Start an affiliate site that refers customers to a payment page from another website. This would pay you a commission on each sale.

I am sure other people have other ideas but this should get the ball rolling.

Cheers
    James
    -----
    james

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please don't cross post. I have deleted your other threads.
    Mike
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most companies are bound by a retail agreement which means they can't resell to wholesalers or other retailers, only to consumers. Most industries do this, I know the shoe and apparel industry does. We can't resell to other shoe stores...

You should contact the distributors, i.e. Sony Entertainment, Arista, etc. and ask for wholesalers or distributors names. They may distribute them themselves. There are also a lot of magazines that pertain to the rental/video purchase industry that you can get for free (my wife is in management at Blockbuster).

One site you can look at is http://www.videobusiness.com/ - I'll get my wife to get the names of some of the magazines she gets at work too. Best of luck!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks beley!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep in mind that when you use a drop-shipper, while easier than doing it yourself, you also loose some control over the process. If the drop-shipper screws up that looks bad on your business. At least if you do it all youself you have no one else to blame.
    Ocean View Host - Affordable web hosting plans for any business.
    Modern Technology, Old Fashioned Value & Service!
    U.S. Merchant Services - Reliable merchant account services for all business!
    Quality People Providing A Quality Service!

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't sell DVDs online.

Seriously, don't do it, you won't make any money.

DVDs are not only sold by every company under the sun, making a case of extreme competition in which a small company will find it hard to compete. But they're cheap and so your profits will suck.

The only way you could be successful is if you sold DVDs that you can't buy at Amazon, Walmart, or any of the various other major retailers.

Off the top of my head adult DVDs is the only genre I can think of that could fit this bill.

Think long and hard about doing this before you start, make a business plan, figure out exactly how many dvds you will need to sell in a month to make a profit.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

SitePoint Addict michaelwheaton's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent points, aspen - it's a very competitive product. When looking for a DVD I'd first check out Walmart, Best Buy, etc. If they didn't have it, I'd go to an eCommerce site I'm familar with, Amazon. And if they didn't carry it, I might consider another online store - but it would be a hard sell.

For most DVDs, there's so much competition that you'd have to sell at almost no profit - and the customer probably wouldn't save anything after shipping and handling. There's really not enough benefit here to make it worth purchasing online.

If you have a unique idea or are sure you can make this work, then go for it. But try not to invest much upfront, it's a risky area.

Mike