SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

css and html emails

At present i have a php script that generates an html page that I will be emailing to over 1000 people The page is a sports fixtures/results and league tables email covering 14 leagues. I've just designed the layout using tables - lots of tables as this is the only way at present i know how to layout info that has to be in a given layout format. Trouble is with 28 tables with an average of 10 rows and 9 columns each the darn e-mail size is way too big (250kb with only one image on the page at 8kb).

I was wondering if css would help in this situation to lower the size of the email by getting rid of all the tables. Do the popular e-mail clients support css. Basically I just copy the html source code that my php script generates from the database and paste this into an html email script that sends it to subscribed users in my db. I've only ever used css to add styles to my text and links on my website and not looked into using css to replace tables yet.

Thanks for your time and hope someone can advice.

SitePoint Enthusiast Gamblingharry's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like your info is actually tabular info, so tables is probably the best option. Only thing you could use CSS for is to give the <td> tag a particular format, then each <td> wouldnt need any formating.

Would be good if you could show us a typical email.