SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Building Elance like portal

Hi everyone. I have a plan to build a website that function similar to Elance.com or Scriptlance.com where developer and webmaster meet to provide and get a project. I want to hear from you how do you think I should approach the management of the site.

My main concern is how members do not share their contact details among them. I know that this can not be avoided 100% but could anyone suggest what could I do to discourage them to do this? I think at first I could monitor every private message being sent to see if there is contact detail in it but when they put their portfolios which is most likely a website and it might contain their contact detail, then I could not avoid that. Further, when the member and activities grow I dont think I will be able to monitor each single message.

Anyone have suggestions? Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does elance.com or scriptlance.com deal with that issue? My advice would be to just do what they do.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizzman
    How does elance.com or scriptlance.com deal with that issue? My advice would be to just do what they do.
    That's what I want to know. Is there anyone here knows about that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you ran a subscription based service for the service providers then that would relieve your concerns a little. The buyer running off with the service provider happens often I am sure when a large percentage of the project budget is required by the service auction.

Other than that it is generally made clear to the service providers and buyers that if this type of cheating occurs then it will be dealt with. You often see on the service auction a contact address to report anything like this - a disgruntled service provider who failed to win the project may become aware of this...

Another point is that once the service auction has built up a history the service providers are able to gain better pricing and reputation through the voting and comments made by previous buyers. A serious service provider would not throw that away lightly.

Let me know when you are near to becoming live - I will add you to the list and create a launch news item for you.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me know when you are near to becoming live - I will add you to the list and create a launch news item for you.
    Thanks for your response. I am in a very early stage.. everything is still a concept. I am just about to graduate in a month and have this plan in my mind. Anyway, I will let you know when this project become reality.

Ohio - U.S.A. Outlook: Cautiously Optimistic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At Programming Outpost there is a filter that disallows any mention of instant messenging or contact by email. It's similar to a word filter on a forum. If a programmer mentions contacting them by alternate means, it reminds them that this is not permitted. You can set up the word filter to check for anything.

Obviously it isn't a perfect system but it helps to have it in place.

Your best off just warning them if there is an infraction of the rules, they will be banned from bidding.