User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

benefit of handing codes and so on

Hi.
    What are all the benefit of hand coding?
    How fast downloading if you separate content and let CSS do the stylesheet? and How slow if you don't separate it?
    What's so bad about Dreamweaver?

Drupaler bronze trophy greg.harvey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see a benefit to hand coding once you're out there in the real world. Hand coding is a great starting point so that you understand what's going on behind the scenes in a WYSIWYG editor. Once you know it, you don't need to keep doing it.

If you have one stylesheet then it will cache after you've loaded the first page (assuming caching isn't switched off in the users' browser). Therefore you're not loading all the formatting info for every page.

There is nothing bad about Dreamweaver. I've just got MX 2004 and I'm mightily impressed. This site was done in MX 2004 entirely:

www.unilever-colworth.co.uk

Validate it. It's perfect.

G

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hand coding isn't much about benefits, it's about understanding what you are doing. If you are really into creating web pages, then understanding the code will help you greatly. There are a lot of web developers who know how to hand code but they rather use a WYSIWYG editor because it saves time.

However, there might be a few times that you won't be able to acomplish what you want using WYSIWYG editors and then it's when the hand coding is useful. You can go into the code and change what's needed. It's like a teamwork between you and the WYSIWYG editor.
    Community Guidelines | Community FAQ

"He that is kind is free, though he is a slave;
    he that is evil is a slave, though he be a king." - St. Augustine

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I hand-code because I'm freakishly particular about my HTML (i.e. proper tags, tabbing, where line breaks go, etc.). I use Dreamweaver though; it's always good to be able to switch to design view quickly, and unlike some other programs, DW won't rewrite your code behind your back .

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard somone once said Dreamweaver produces unecessary codes and it delays downloading times and less secured. I don't know how much is it truth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    I use Dreamweaver though; it's always good to be able to switch to design view quickly, and unlike some other programs, DW won't rewrite your code behind your back .
    I hear you loud and clear, Vinnie. I learned html with the "help" of Pagemill and GoLive. After I started to catch on to html, however, I noticed that funny things were happening to my markup everytime I fixed a page and then reloaded it into the editor. I soon found that I was doing more hand codeing than I was using the software. So I dropped the WYSIWYG stuff and just started using EditPlus and then htmlKit.

I didn't realize that DW is used by so many professionals. And while I too am picky about my markup, if it will help me speed up production, then I'm going to seriously look into it.
    Ducharme's Axiom: "If you view your problem closely
    enough, you will recognize yourself as part of the problem."

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksam
    I heard somone once said Dreamweaver produces unecessary codes and it delays downloading times and less secured. I don't know how much is it truth.
    older versions of DW may have done that but in the last three years I haven't seen it once... of course there are some things you can turn on which try to fix your unclosed tags etc, but it comes off by default

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by greg.harvey
    I don't see a benefit to hand coding once you're out there in the real world. Hand coding is a great starting point so that you understand what's going on behind the scenes in a WYSIWYG editor. Once you know it, you don't need to keep doing it.

If you have one stylesheet then it will cache after you've loaded the first page (assuming caching isn't switched off in the users' browser). Therefore you're not loading all the formatting info for every page.

There is nothing bad about Dreamweaver. I've just got MX 2004 and I'm mightily impressed. This site was done in MX 2004 entirely:

www.unilever-colworth.co.uk

Validate it. It's perfect.

G
    how fast downloading time is when you separate content and style. and how slow when you don't separate those two together? 3 second? 10 second?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i noticed the site uses an iframe. I didn't know iframes were validate-able.

What do you do with an iframe for a browser that doesn't support it, and/or if stylesheets are turned off?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jag5311
    i noticed the site uses an iframe. I didn't know iframes were validate-able.

What do you do with an iframe for a browser that doesn't support it, and/or if stylesheets are turned off?
    a) No it doesn't use an iFrame. It's all DIVs.
    b) Yes, iFrames do validate.

If stylesheets are off the site degrades gracefully and just displays each DIV in the order they appear in the code vertically down the site, which is why (if you check) Lynx is more than happy with the site.

Security has nothing to do with the kind of stuff you do in Dreamweaver. It's an age-old myth that Dreamweaver's code is unnecessarily heavy. See our own Marco's comments here. Certainly told me!

http://www.sitepointforums.com/showp...95&postcount=9

how fast downloading time is when you separate content and style. and how slow when you don't separate those two together? 3 second? 10 second?
    How long is a piece of string? It depends on how big your files are! I can't say "every website done in this way will download in this time!" One site might have 50 lines in a stylesheet, another may have 500!

G

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Greg, How did you customize scroll bar for DIV

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You just assign the CSS for colouring scrollbars to that DIV only. (Please note that because this code is IE-specific, it invalidates the CSS. I included it anyway because it doesn't harm the site in any other browsers so I figure it's a harmless inclusion to make it look a bit better in IE.)

This is my Content div:

Code:
    #Content {
    	z-index: auto;
    	height: 200px;
    	width: 450px;
    	font-size: 75%;
    	font-style: normal;
    	color: #000000;
    	overflow: auto;
    	float: left;
    	font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    	line-height: 130%;
    	padding: 5px;
    	scrollbar-face-color: #FFFFFF;
    	scrollbar-shadow-color: #FFFFFF;
    	scrollbar-highlight-color: #FFFFFF;
    	scrollbar-3dlight-color: #003399;
    	scrollbar-darkshadow-color: #003399;
    	scrollbar-track-color: #E9E9E9;
    	scrollbar-arrow-color: #003399;
    	scrollbar-base-color: #003399;
    }

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by greg.harvey
    You just assign the CSS for colouring scrollbars to that DIV only. (Please note that because this code is IE-specific, it invalidates the CSS. I included it anyway because it doesn't harm the site in any other browsers so I figure it's a harmless inclusion to make it look a bit better in IE.)
    Colored scrollbars work in Opera as well now.