SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I am currently using MS FrontPage and I think I'd like to make the move to something better. I am going to learn Cold Fusion to use for databases so should I go with HomeSite by the same company as Cold Fusion? I want to be more involved with the HTML of the site than I am with FrontPage, but I need something more than just a text-editor. Any suggestions? Thanks!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having tried many environments and literally dozens of HTML editors, believe it or not, FP is amongst the best of the lot... lol.

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would give DreamWeaver (UltraDev) a try.
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We'll try and avoid turning this into an FP vs DW debate, but seriously, try out a bunch of packages, look at what features are available and find one that's right for you.

Every package is better at something. For example, FP is far better on the site management side than DW, but (I think) DW is better on the page layout and design side. Pick one that offers the features you need, and remember, it's perfectly viable to use more than one.

I know a guy who uses FP to manage and publish his site, but does all the design work in DW for example.

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like frontpage. I have dreamweaver and I don't like the feel of it. If you want something a little less controlling and you just want some guidance, check of CoffeeCups software, it's really useful.
    Free Science Homework Help
    http://www.physicsforums.com

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Fluffykins
    We'll try and avoid turning this into an FP vs DW debate...
    My usual kidding aside, both FP and DW are strong packages with much to recommend each of them.

Much of this goes to personal preference, and to what type of work you're doing.

I personally do not care for the way DW is put together -- but it's a powerful package if you take the time to learn it properly -- and it does have an advantage over FP in layout and some building features, I think.

On the other hand, if you're running very large sites (our CodeBrain.com site, for instance, has over 400 pages and 20,000 files involved) -- then FP has very strong and very significant advantages over DW.

Most of the comments you hear maligning either DW or FP stem from one single factor: Few people truly learn how to fully use these environments properly.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grant you need to differentiate between WYSIWYG editors and HTML editors.

Dreamweaver and Frontpage, while they can function as HTML Editors, are WYSIWYG editors.

The program you mentioned, Homesite. Is actually the #1 HTML editor. I don't personally use it, but lots of people do, so its gotta be pretty good.

I use a program called cutehtml. its sufficient for my needs. Basically notepad but it color codes tags. you can get it at http://www.globalscape.com and there is a free download.

Depending on how much you want to spend, I would probably get either Homesite or Cold Fusion Studio.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by aspen
    lots of people do [use it], so its gotta be pretty good.
    Sounds like an AOL comment... lol.

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GrantShady,

Here is a list of some recommended web page editors. Some are basic and others are more advanced, but all of them are either freeware or shareware. Have a look.

Hope it helps!
    Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's not all forget Hotdog eh? It's a great little package!

But I suggest you have a look through that list that Sparkie suggested and try some different ones out yourself. You can get a lot on trial version so that you can try before you buy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like FP2000 because it lets you write your own code and then preview it to see if it works. It will also write code for you.

I have a vBulletin board where the templates are in HTML and you have to code by hand. If I forget an HTML element, I can go use FP2000 to create the code and then view/edit it.

As I've said in other places, I'm getting ready to buy a copy of Dreamweaver and use it also.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Homesite rocks. It's the choice for anyone who wants to get more involved in the actual HTML of the site. It's got enough wizards and tools to help you get started quickly (even a modest WSIWYG feature - not great, though). But it truly shines in gettin' down and dirty with the code.

If you're wanting to go with CF (and even if you weren't), I'd HIGHLY recommend Homesite. I've used it since version 3, and I've never found anything as good.

1st Page 2000 (http://www.evrsoft.com) is good for a free editor. It feels much like Homesite (I wonder if it's not an attempt at pretty much copying Homesite), but is not quite as good. A few annoying bugs too (which should be fixed in v2, if it ever comes out). But for a free program, it's very good.

m.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FP2000 is much improved over FP98.

I think it depends what you commonly do with HTML. If you mostly need to make quick changes to a bunch of pages in a hurry then a WYSIWYG editor like FP or DW is the way to go. If you need to do detailed HTML/PHP/JS/CF coding than Homesite is probably better.

Ocean View Host - Affordable web hosting plans for any business.
    Modern Technology, Old Fashioned Value & Service!
    U.S. Merchant Services - Reliable merchant account services for all business!
    Quality People Providing A Quality Service!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO...

Best WYSIWYG = DreamWeaver
    Best HTML Editor = 1st Page 2000 (that is a hard one to call though)

Get DreamWeaver its rad!
    SiteOptions >> Services :: Products :: Contact
    Developers of PHP, C++, Visual Basic, MySQL, and more!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're serious about Cold Fusion, try out the 30 day eval of Cold Fusion Studio. It's built on top of Homesite and provides additional Cold Fusion resources.

CF Studio is quite pricey, though, $500, vs. $100 or so for HomeSite. You could get by with HomeSite and 1 or 2 Cold Fusion books for the additional CF tags/reference.

We are vigilant icehousedesigns's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally use Dreamweaver 4. I have used Dreamwaver since version 1, and I wouldn't give it up for anything. I've never used FP, so I can't comment on it. I have used others, but by far I like DW the best of them all. It intergrates scripting, flash, and much more right from the editor.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started out using Dreamweaver 2 .. now I am up to 3 .. recently I started to use fp2000 and discovered it has spell checker . But I have been modifing the code lately so it really doesn't matter much any more which one I use. However I like tables better in FP 2000

Chuck

We are vigilant icehousedesigns's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I know...Dreamweaver has always had a spell checker also...It's under text..check spelling..or SHIFT+F7.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a huge fan of FrontPage.

I don't think you can go 'better' in matter WYSIWYG, because DreamWeaver can do just about the sameas FP2000 and FP2000 can do just about the same DreamWeaver can.