User Tag List

Thread: screen size

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

screen size

I want to make a site where people dont't have to croll to see the complete site.
    What size do I have to use, thinking about all the different screen sizes (15", 17")?

thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's not so much their ACTUAL screen size of 15", 17", etc... it's their screen resolution you need to worry about. with that said, if the site is going to be viewed by the general public, i'd try to keep it under 800px wide, since i'd say most of the general web surfers have a resolution of 800x600.

if your site is geared towards a more tech savy crowd, i don't think anyone would have less than 1024x768...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually design my sites to be 775, 750 or 725,
    and keep the important stuff visible for 600x480 resoltions.

Though on one site of mine, I do have a fluid design.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NokX
    if your site is geared towards a more tech savy crowd, i don't think anyone would have less than 1024x768...
    I wouldn't assume that. As a tech-savvy person, I typically have my browser window sized at about 900 x 900. Yes, the screen is 1280 x 960, but I usually have eight other things open at once, so the browser doesn't get the whole screen.

My policy is to shoot for a minimum of 800 x 600, and try to keep things dynamic enough to take advantage of a larger screen when it's available.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moncur
    I wouldn't assume that. As a tech-savvy person, I typically have my browser window sized at about 900 x 900. Yes, the screen is 1280 x 960, but I usually have eight other things open at once, so the browser doesn't get the whole screen.

My policy is to shoot for a minimum of 800 x 600, and try to keep things dynamic enough to take advantage of a larger screen when it's available.
    eh, i look at it like if they REALLY wanna see a site and look at it, they can either keep their browser window shrunk down and have to scroll, or they can simply click the little "maximize" button. but most people when surfing are reading the site's content and not just having the browser window open for eye candy, or whatever, in the corner.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NokX
    ...they can either keep their browser window shrunk down and have to scroll, or they can simply click the little "maximize" button.
    i disagree with this.. i'm running my PC on 1280x1024 resolution, and i hardly ever maximise my browser windows. admitedly there's no reason to at this res, but i wouldn't assume that all users of 1024x768 maximise either.
    Rich.
    Late Night, Cold Coffee: Like daytime, but darker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RichPearce
    i disagree with this.. i'm running my PC on 1280x1024 resolution, and i hardly ever maximise my browser windows. admitedly there's no reason to at this res, but i wouldn't assume that all users of 1024x768 maximise either.
    you can resize your browser window to whatever you want, but just don't be in shock if some sites don't fit. that's all i'm saying. most people design for 800px anyway, so if you're running 1280x1024 (which is what i run too) and you resize your browser so you can have more things available at once without possibly going under that 800px mark.

if you wanna see a bunch of stuff at once, try out that new expose feature on mac os x 10.3...sweet.