SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the mainboard has only 2 banks for RAM and its max RAM in the specification is 256MB (2x128), can I go any further?
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really. Each of your slots is capable of 128Max i presume, so there isn't really a way for you to get higher than that on the same motherboard

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on the age of your motherboard and type of RAM it supports, you may be able to go up to 512MB (2x256) or even 1GB and more. If your motherboard says that it cannot handle more than 256MB, then it probably can't

You can use a large amount of virtual memory of course. I wouldn't say that maxing out at 256MB is a problem, by the time 256MB becomes standard you'll be itching for a new computer anyway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, standard memory is getting higher and higher, living with 64MB on my laptop is a pain!!! Can't fire up too many windows at the same time! But I just got it a 128SODIMM @ crucial.com, will come soon!
    - Son Nguyen

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check. Sometimes a mainboard will say it can only go up to 256 with 2 slots because at that point in time the highest chip for consumers was basically a 128mb. So, contact their tech support to find out, you never know.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Living with 64mb is a pain - I used to run Windows 95 OSR2 plus Office 97 and Photoshop 4 (At the same time) on a 486 DX2-66 with 4mb of RAM and you complain about 64MB.

If it says 256Mb is the most than it more than likely is, the memory address register probably can't address more than 256MB or the bus is just not designed to cope with it.
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Currently your motherboard can probably only support 256 Megabytes. But as Aspen said, technology changes. I would go to the Mobo Manufacturer and see if they have a BIOS upgrade that can support more memory.

If they do, be very careful installing it because one false move can render your motherboard worthless.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And the worst thing with this HP is the mainboard, it has a "tatoo", I mean it's made from Hawk and for HP Pavilion PCs. So if I get myself another mainboard (that is not from HP authorized providers), the recovery CDs won't work!

That's a bad thing since if I want to change my mainboard (to get more RAM), I don't think I can just shop for one.

And with the HDD, my secondary IDE is dead! I have to put my old HDDn and the CD-RW on the primary IDE

Does anyone get that problem before? (one IDE is not functional) and I don't understand what could be the problem.
    - Son Nguyen

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The secondary IDE connection is probably disabled in the BIOS. GO in and check on it.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Wayne, but not the problem with BIOS.
    Since the day before, I used to have the CD-RW on the Secondary IDE, but the following day, it was not recogizing the second IDE anymore, I had to place it together with the primary IDE (master+slave)

It's like out of nowhere! When I boot up, the second IDE was gone! Have no idea what could be
    - Son Nguyen

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Karl
    Living with 64mb is a pain.
    I remember a person at a local Best Buy gave me the following advice in 1997-1998:
    Once you have more than 64MB of RAM, you won't notice any difference in speed and you'll basically be wasting your money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha, how times change. Remember when Bill Gates said how we would never need some (now) miniscule amount of storage on our PC's? I'm not sure of the exact figure, but it was a few kilobytes - now we have hundreds of gigabytes!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In 1983, Bill Gates said something like "No one will need anything more than 512KB of RAM"

Not sure if that's the same quote you had in mind

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And some guy also said about 6 or some numbers of computers (mainframes) are enough to power all computing needs!

Now the quote for 64MB get reversed! From 64-128 see a huge boost!
    - Son Nguyen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bill gates said that no one would need more than 640K of RAM. Personally I run with 256Mb at home and we have two office PCs that run with 256Mb RAM and we wouldn't dream of using anything less, in fact at this moment I am looking at cheap memory to consider moving my personal PC to 512Mb RAM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually that figure wasn't decided upon by Bill Gates alone. In fact Bill Gates probably didn't have anything to do with it.

The decision was made by a coalition of companies made up by IBM, Intel, Lotus and Microsoft.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thinking of IBM does anyone remember the PS1 and PS2 line of PCs, my Dad still has one, it's a 386sx16 with 2mb of RAM running Windows 3.1 and you guys complain about 64MB, it's a got a 40Mb Hard disk to which is ESDI (Not even IDE Interface), it takes 72pin simms but only if they are designed for the system, it won't take generic <-- Now that's a slow system.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bill gates said that no one would need more than 640K of RAM. Personally I run with 256Mb at home and we have two office PCs that
    run with 256Mb RAM and we wouldn't dream of using anything less, in fact at this moment I am looking at cheap memory to consider
    moving my personal PC to 512Mb RAM.
    I have 256MB at home too, and I think I'll add another 256MB card a few months down the line when I start doing some really computer-intensive work

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the current mainboard, 256MB is my limit!
    Anyway, I think it's enough for the moment
    Probably HP Mainboard is designed with a limit so that people have to buy new computer soon instead of keeping upgrading!
    - Son Nguyen

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps.

My old computer maxes out at 128MB of RAM, although it is 8 times as much RAM as what it came with. I remember thinking back then, "I'd like to think about why anyone would need 128MB of RAM!". Well my current computer came with 256MB of RAM. If it maxed out at 8 times of what it came with, that's 2 gigs of memory. I'll say it again, "I'd like to think about why anyone would need 2 gigs of RAM for!" I understand that mainframes, servers, and other non-home computers would do well off with 2GB of RAM, but for a home user?

Who knows, 3 years down the line this computer may very well have 2GB of RAM. That's spooky.