SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would love to good advice on ways to go about getting reciprocal links back to our site. I've used submit wolf for a while which is good for a bunch of sites...but hey, most of them aren't worth the time of day, but it gets a link out there. This has worked in the past, but every conference I've been to regarding this tactic says its GREAT TO DO, and you must start now, don't actually tell HOW to do this?

Just looking for some good tips and discussions!

Have a great holiday all of you!
    Frank
    PLAY DISC GOLF!
    BEST DARN SPORT ON EARTH
    Professional Disc Golf Association

what a sport!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best way to get reciprocal links is to send personal, polite, and professional e-mails to sites that are similar or accompany your site's theme. Let them know you would like to trade links, tell them about your site, and tell them what you liked about theirs. Good luck!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a good question. In Chapter 2 of my book, Web Marketing Applied, the very first (and most important) idea (of the 101 ideas in Chapter 2) is "Seek Out Sites for Links". Here's an excerpt from page 26:

--
    Does it cost money? No
    How well does it work? ***** (5 out of 5 stars)
    What does it develop? Initial Contact

Asking another Webmaster to link to your Website is one of the best available methods of marketing your Website. In fact, the benefits are twofold:

1) The more Websites you are on, the easier it will be for people to find your Website.

2) The more Websites you are on, the better you'll rank on some search engines.

You may be curious as to how getting links on other people's Websites helps your ranking on some search engines. Search engines use a number of equations to determine how high or low you are placed. Meta tags and descriptions play and important role in these decisions. On some search engines, your Website's popularity is also figured into the equation. Your popularity is determined by how many Webites link to you. You want to be on as may Web pages as possible.

How do you think most people find your Website? Would your answer be search engines? If so,l you may be interested in the survey results from a Georgia Institute of Technology study conducted in 1997. The study found that most people find new Websites from other people's Websites. Coming in a close second was search engines.

Here's what you need to do to apply this marketing idea:

1) Draft a nice letter politely introducing the recipient to your Website and asking him or her to please consider linking to your Website. Save the letter so that you can use it over and over.

2) Search the Internet for sites that relate to yours. For example, if your Website is about Pomeranian dogs, search for "Pomeranian," "Pomeranians," "toy dogs," and so on. Visit the sites you find one by one and see if the site has a link page. If so, find the Webmaster's email address and send him or her a copy of the link request. If the Webmaster puts his or her name on the site (for example, "this site made by Joe Tracy"), be sure to address your letter with that name to better personalize it. Send out five emails a day - every day.

See Web Marketing Idea #84, "Keep Track of Who is Linking to You" for a related technique.
    --

Hopefully this helps! Good luck.
    Joe Tracy, Editor
    Webmaster Techniques Magazine (free publication for Webmasters)

author, Web Marketing Applied

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Email the site owner directly. Don't use any canned or staged come-ons. Just ask for a link in exchange for a link back.

You'll never get a link out of some sites. Some site owners are full of themselves and wouldn't give G*d a link. Other sites like CNET want advertisers, not link exchanges.

If you get half the exchanges you ask for you're doing great!
    Ocean View Host - Affordable web hosting plans for any business.
    Modern Technology, Old Fashioned Value & Service!
    U.S. Merchant Services - Reliable merchant account services for all business!
    Quality People Providing A Quality Service!

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SitePoint has an entire category on reciprocal linking if you've not already looked through it. It's at: http://www.promotionbase.com/subcats.php?id=16.

I've been trying to do this myself, so far only one site out of about ten has replied and linked back, but these things take time.

Your best bet, as jaiem said is to e-mail the site owner directly. Tell them you liked their site (reference them and the site by name, prove you've actually looked through it, they like that - there's nothing worse than an e-mail that sounds artificial) and tell them you'd like to trade links. I use a template for that to save time.

Do you have an advertising or webmaster's page on your site? On mine, i've stated that i'm interested in Link Trades and have made initial contact with one site that way.

I hope that helps a bit. I know i've found SitePoint's articles on the subject really helpful.

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've looked at Zeus which is a web spider program you train to recognize key words on various sites and it collects a list of relevant sites and their email addresses. It automatically builds a web directory for you to upload to your site. You then use their mailmerge function to automatically send "customizable" letters to the webmasters asking for reciprical links. The program then gives higher rankings in your directory to those that agree to give reciprical links.

Overall, it's a neat idea, and the spider seems to work reasonable well. I think that it is probably better to spend the same amount of time just searching the keyword terms that are relevant to you and writing more personal notes to the webmasters asking for reciprical links.

I'm curious how well Zeus works for people as a way to build traffic. I would think the most traffic would actually come from the webmasters coming to visit your site and then maybe some traffic from the links and less traffic from the better search engine rankings.

Oh, the address for a free version of the Zeus program is:

http://www.cyber-robotics.com

Rick
    http://www.webtowns.org/Promotion_an...ic_Generation/
    Add the tools you've found useful!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked into that for my other site some time ago. At that time it looked more like a tool for building mailing lists than getting leads for reciprocal links.
    Ocean View Host - Affordable web hosting plans for any business.
    Modern Technology, Old Fashioned Value & Service!
    U.S. Merchant Services - Reliable merchant account services for all business!
    Quality People Providing A Quality Service!