SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

copying games from other sites

Hello, if i were to make a game website, something like www.reallyfunarcade.com, can i just go around download games (flash/applet files) and use them on my website? how do game sites get games on thier website?
    # SAMO #

Great sites coming soon!!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assume that everything on the internet is copyrighted material unless otherwise stated, because it almost certainly is.

You may find games you can use for free - but make sure you have the permission of the copyright owner and not just someone who stole the game (and therefore has no right to give the game to you).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caimin
    Assume that everything on the internet is copyrighted material unless otherwise stated
    There is no such thing as something that is "copyrighted" or "not copyrighted". "Copyright" is not a certification - it is a law that protects the author's exclusive right to his or her own original work.

Every piece of original work is protected by copyright law.

Copyright law is a civil law, not a criminal law. That means that it's up to the author of the work to press charges, not the police. That means that in order to use anybody else's work, you must be sure that they don't mind you using it. To protect yourself from a lawsuit, that needs to be a written permission.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are works (very old books, for example) where the orginal copyright has expired and the work is now in the public domain. That's what I meant by "not copyrighted".

Clearly, that situation could not possibly apply to any orginal game found on the internet because it could not yet be old enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clearly, that situation could not possibly apply to any orginal game found on the internet because it could not yet be old enough.
    i believe games like space invaders and pac man are public domain. they have been bought and given to the publich if i remember correctly. thats why you see so many variations of them on and offline

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MG315
    i believe games like space invaders and pac man are public domain. they have been bought and given to the publich if i remember correctly. thats why you see so many variations of them on and offline
    Even if the characters and general idea of the game is public domain any specific game would still be copyrighted by the owner or programmer who made it. Better check and get permission... always.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How would i go about getting permission? what if someone says i can use a game then trys to sue me? Do i have to get the original copyright owner to fax me a singed form or something?
    # SAMO #

Great sites coming soon!!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always get a signed letter in writing from the copyright holder. Then they can't say that they didn't allow you to use it, you have a legally binding document.