SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how do YOU determine the size (px) of your site

When coming up with a plan to implement into a new site, how do you determine what would be best.

1. A site that is about 700 px wide, centered.

2. A site that is left aligned, but stops about 700px into the page.

3. A site that isn't fluid, but spans across the entire browser window.

4. A site that IS fluid and spans across the entire window.

Personally, I have noticed that I prefer more of the centered 700px version. That is because I feel like I usually don't have enough information that would require me to have to fill up the whole right hand screen. I guess the actual size (content) of the site determines this, huh?

I still would love your input.

Thanks
    Bryan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually use 770 pixels. I used to center the main table (like Yahoo) but I quit. I know put everything over to the left (like CNN) and sometimes try to create a background that helps to cut off the right - maybe give it some other color.

Personally, I do not mind either way - whether that fill up the my entire 1280X1024 screen or not.

If I am designing a website for someone - I actually walk them thru to tell me what they have their display settings at. I then ask them who they think will be looking at their site the most. I explain to them the different options & most want the 770 pixel setting. That way - they know how it is going to look on most resolutions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer either 775 centered or 750 centered.

I nearly never work with fluid designs, because I never really have people with less than 800 x 600 resolution.

But I always make sure that people in 600 x 480 resolution don't suffer too much. They just have to scroll right a bit, and the content always fits, ALWAYS.

The knight who said ni! RockyShark's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I generally use abut 750, but whether I align it to the left or centre it depends on the site. Some work better centred, some work better aligned to the left. And sometimes I'll use a fluid design...

I've found there are no hard rules here - different sites have different requirements. Be flexible, and do what works best for the particular site you're working on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    760x420 for a fixed ratio, but normally a 760 which is enough to filla 800x600 screen

You just need to do what suits your project. I've seen some nice sites which use a horizontal scrollbar, and I've also seen some hideous sites use the same method.