SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[Resolved] Major speed problem on IE with CSS

For some reason, draw speed is really slow no my site with IE. It's perfectly fine with mozilla. Sometimes you can see it painting the screen, and it's already got the images downloaded. Just the hover on the main menu is slow; on mozilla it's fine. I just use CSS for the hover, so it's nothing fancy. Anybody have any ideas?

URL: http://www.bitmesh.com

The layout itself only used 9 images total, which are small and total to 1.59kb altogether. I don't know why it's going so slow on IE.
    Last edited by nking; Oct 26, 2003 at 18:23.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not seeing the problem that you described. The page loaded just fine and the menu hovers worked just fine for me with IE6 on Win98SE. Just a comment: I don't like hovers that change the size of the hovered links because they cause surrounding text to jump around.
    ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic™
    http://www.computerbob.com
    - XHTML 1.0 Strict + CSS Layout
    Ratings | Forums | Software | Polls | Weird | Quotes | Weather
    Guest Articles | Free Greeting Cards | CB Awards | Search

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerBob
    I'm not seeing the problem that you described. The page loaded just fine and the menu hovers worked just fine for me with IE6 on Win98SE. Just a comment: I don't like hovers that change the size of the hovered links because they cause surrounding text to jump around.
    I have a Win98SE computer with IE6, and XP with IE6, both of which have problems displaying the page. I asked in another forum, and everyone else had problems as well. Drag your mouse across the middle links. There is a huge delay. It also draws the page very slowly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drawing on ComputerBob's observation of changing size on hover, and thinking aloud here, is it possible the delay seen (yes, it seems a bit laggy to me) is because when you change the size it is forcing the browser to redraw the entire screen? Merely a thought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keriam
    Drawing on ComputerBob's observation of changing size on hover, and thinking aloud here, is it possible the delay seen (yes, it seems a bit laggy to me) is because when you change the size it is forcing the browser to redraw the entire screen? Merely a thought.
    It made it less noticeable, but it still draws the screen very slowly, as you can tell when you minimize and maximize

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I've figured it out. 6 of the 9 images used on what i've gotten done on the layout are background images for tables and cells. I think that the backgrounds of tables are drawn when the page is visible, but not when it's minimized or behind a window. So everytime the page becomes visible, it has to redraw the background images. What do you think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I got the problem fixed, so in case anybody else has a problem like this, I'll explain.

I had large tables with background images. These images were 1x2 pixels. So when it drew the table, it had to draw the background image hundreds of times so it covered the entire table. This caused the page to run very slow.