User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IE5/Mac Bug Smashing

*whipes dust of SPF seat*

Long time, again, but now I am here with a question or three. Our project group has been developing a site for anuniversity assignment. I was responsible for the XHTML/CSS design -- only the template though, not content pages.

The site is located at http://hhs.mm2c.com/ -- You can see two screenshots here and here, the latter showing all of them I know. The red/orange lining indencates what's wrong.

I don't have a lot of time to get into this myself and Google didn't give me any real answers (simple because I have no idea what could cause this), so I came to SPF. If someone, who has easy access to a Mac or knows what quirks in IE5/Mac could help and try to pin-point where it's going wrong, I'd appreciate it a lot.

Incorrect height for styled A tag (Screenshots 01 + 02)
    The first bug is in my usage of LIR. The same effect can be seen in the three images in Screenshot #01.

Missing BLOCKQUOTE (Screenshots 01 + 02)
    A blockquote is used for the interview at the right bar. Apparentely, it completely vanished.

Text vanished from H1 (Screenshot 02)
    Same as above. A fixed height is defined here, but IE5/Mac hates it.

Blargh, thanks in advance
    Jeroen Mulder

w: www.jeroenmulder.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, while we're at it. IE6 has an odd bug with the LI items displayed at http://hhs.mm2c.com/cmd/toekomst/

The LI items have a background-image presenting the bullet. In IE6 this magically disappears but reappears when one scrolls them out of the visible area and then back in it again. Hmprf :s
    Jeroen Mulder

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JMulder
    Oh, while we're at it. IE6 has an odd bug with the LI items displayed at http://hhs.mm2c.com/cmd/toekomst/

The LI items have a background-image presenting the bullet. In IE6 this magically disappears but reappears when one scrolls them out of the visible area and then back in it again. Hmprf :s
    To solve this one, just apply your image as "list-style-image: url();" to the ul tag instead of a background image. It's more reliable that way. I'm working on the IE5/Mac bugs, just gotta boot up the powerbook .

SitePoint Enthusiast hutchysk8er's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    to answer one of your points, you say its in xhtml + css, am pretty sure blockquote isnt valid in xhtml.
    Hutchy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BLOCKQUOTE is valid in XHTML 1.0, not sure about 1.1

Anyone else? This is rather important :|
    Jeroen Mulder

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks vinnie. Actually, I found that using background images instead of list-style images it was more reliable over a different set of browsers. IE6 seems to place the list-image differently than other browsers, so I settled for this (although it's still not exactly the same).

I'll try it again though, we'll see what happends. Thank for all your efforts,
    Jeroen Mulder

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding the IE6 bug, I narrowed it down to a CSS expression. Interesting enough, I have a similar bug occuring on another website only then the whole site just disappears :|

Code:
    height: expression((this.parentElement.style.height < "350") ? "350px" : "auto"); /* Compensate for IE6's lack of min-height */
    Jeroen Mulder

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Your IE/Mac problem in your top menu may be caused by your use of both float and positioning, yet you never defined a "position" property for each element. Just a guess; try adding position: relative; to each floated link.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the links are absolutely positioned. Now, why did I add float properties then? Urgh, got to love it when you forget to remove a remainder of other methods.

All the floating properties for each link are removed now. Result is equal in Firebird and IE6 (testing IE5.x/Win) in a sec. Anything on the Mac?
    Jeroen Mulder

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slight update and a bit of a shameless bump

I managed to fix the IE6 misrendering of the list items by moving the IE CSS expression one level up. Only now I found another IE6 problem. When searching for this word you'll see that the 2PX line at the right doesn't line up correctly. Mysteriously, if I add a fixed width to the DIV containing the regular text, the list-items get misrendered again.

Crazy stuff ..

EDIT:

Another update. The IE6 bug has been fixed. Apparentely MSIE/Win does some incorrect drawing of a paragraph in a div with an undefined width which is on its turn inside a div with a defined width and a padding-right. It caused the outer div to expand to the right .. quite odd but I solved it by adding a fixed width for the paragraph.

Now, the Mac issue is still unresolved. It just ignored the overflow: hidden .. anyone? Only 36 hours left!
    Last edited by JMulder; Oct 27, 2003 at 15:46.
    Jeroen Mulder