User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Proper Image Citation?

Hulloah!

I've got a quick question concerning images - What is the proper way to go about using them on my site? When I say images I mean both photographs and graphical art. Is there a correct way to properly cite the image sources (i.e. an image bibliography) I understand that I have to get written consent if it's an original image, but what do I do if I don't know the original source of the image? Basically, if someone could sum up my legal duties in this regard, I would be much obliged.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you dont hold the rights to the images and you dont know who to contact to get permission to use the images then your best protection is to not use the images

If you need some good photos/graphics for free or very low cost then check out the stock photo's sticky at the top of the graphics forum here.
    Fast Fwd Multimedia
    Web, IT & Cloud Computing Consultancy
    Currently looking for web freelancers. Get in touch!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    eek...most of my images will be dealing with World War II: aircraft, ships, tanks and other assorted weapons. Any suggestions? Also, does it make a difference that I'm not making this website for personal profit?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no that makes no difference. if you don't have the rights to the image then you are opening yourself up to trouble if the rights holder dont like what you're doing - profit or no profit.
    You're best bet is to do a deal with someone that wons these type of photos. Maybe there are some books you know of? YOu could email the publishers and ask for permission to scan and use the pics in exchange for advertising the book on your site.

having said that, i'll bet you find a lot of war related stuff at www.gettyimages.com
    Register and you can search through their archives because they have a lot of news stuff....so maybe they have OLD news stuff too. check it out.
    Fast Fwd Multimedia

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool, thanks kish. that leads me to my next question: does apparent age of an image factor in? i.e. Do copyrights on them expire after a certain amount of years?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not as far as im aware.

In your situation, some people would just say that you should just go ahead and use the pics then if anyone contacts you and asks you to remove them then do that when the time comes. Especially considering the subject matter of your site. However, i would never advocate such a thing
    Fast Fwd Multimedia

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Copyrights do expire but the term is near a century so anything you see online isn't expiring any time soon! As a general rule of thumb, ask first, use if it's ok.
    - Ted S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no that makes no difference.
    i believe this statement is wrong. if i remember correctly, fair use allows you to use up to five images from one source for personal/nonprofit/educational reasons. example, if i was doing a report on a designer, i could use 5 images of artworks he's done without having to ask him.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so say I find all these images on the internet that I want to use, but it is apparent that the sites I find them on do not have any copyrights or privileges on the images. Such is the case with my situation, because all of these WWII photos were obviously scanned out of books (or, in rare cases, the actual photograph), and then heavily circulated on the internet. Anyway, should I still ask the owner of the site that is using the image that I want?

Houston, Tejas; Future Capital of the World
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Copyrights expire after the death of the author/holder plus 70 (sometimes 90) years. So any WWII photo's would still be under copyright unless given to the public domain.

Check with government sources for photos. In most cases photographs taken by the government (such as the Army, Nasa, etc) are considered public domain (since we paid for them with our tax dollars).
    Brian Poirier
    SunStockPhoto: Stock Photos, Fine Art Photos, Event Photography